Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Yamaha or Kawasaki

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha or Kawasaki

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Live in alaska and shopping for new atv. main use will be 4 huntin and such stuff. Needs to be real reliable and have the fewest problems with breakage and breakdowns. Needs to haul me in and out of some real s'ht. Any breakdown could mean hiking 80 miles out as bear bait
Must be a twin cyl. And built with real tough components.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a post in your thread on the yammi forum. Yamaha doesnt make a twin cylinder. Check the other thread.

The guys here can give you all kinds of good info on the prairie/twinpeaks and the AC 650.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Range Rover

I've had my 2004 P700 about 6months of hard riding..and no problems. My brother has a 2002 P650 for over 2yrs with seriously hard riding..deep mud.. deep water.... rocks... trees!! and no problems (except for the dents, scratchs, etc he caused...) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Go to a dealer and ride as many ATV as you can... and see which feels right to you! But I can say..the Prairie is a tough machine!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Wolfin,
I highly recommend the P700 for your needs.

Maddog,
For the record, Yam. DOES make a twin cylinder motor...its a 2-stoke and it comes in the Banshee! That is not to say that I'd recommend Wolfin buy one for his needs b/c that would definitely be a mistake.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris Sportsman 700!!!

Old 04-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

The Kawi will out run other slower bikes so you would be the last one on the bear's menu. If you take care of your bike the Kawi will last.... I got 20,000km on my 650 and it's still running.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The 700 polaris on my point of view doesn't stand up to the 700 kawi, sorry... even your ears will tell you that. Don't get me wrong on the Polaris but the kawi is a stronger bike; the 700 polaris is built a lot better than older polaris but the Kawi is built stronger too. The biggest problem with the 700 polaris i see is no pull cord back up. Your battery dead and the bear is hungry what do you do? I know they have a large battery but a friend of mine loves his polaris and he had his heated grips hooked up directly to his battery and they were left on one night and ... well you get the picture we ended up swaping batteries to start his machine.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MikeyBoyesq
Wolfin,
I highly recommend the P700 for your needs.

Maddog,
For the record, Yam. DOES make a twin cylinder motor...its a 2-stoke and it comes in the Banshee! That is not to say that I'd recommend Wolfin buy one for his needs b/c that would definitely be a mistake.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for that, I had no idea. My family owns 2. Since it was obviously not anywhere near the poster's desires, I didnt feel it needed to be included.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Thanks for the help. Ive heard that the kawi has a low ride. i do need good ground clearance.
Also i read a lot about broken parts on the forum. Is that just from racing or will normal riding cause the same thing?

Old 04-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

If you need g/c go arctic cat.The 650 has tons.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you set on a twin? I'm gonna throw a wrench in everyone's plans and suggest the Rincon. The Honda reliability is there with the big-bore power and torque, plus fully-independent suspension. Diamond G is coming out with a pipe and modulator for more performance, plus you can do all the usual tricks if you need more juice. I know I'll get booed for this, but everyone's entitled to an opinion and there's my 2 cents. The biggest perk of all though when you're in the wet stuff, NO BELT!

Quick Reply: Yamaha or Kawasaki