Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Spring question on V-Force

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring question on V-Force

I am buying a V-Force within the next month here. I am going to have the dealer put the skid plates, A-arm guards and a set of hand guards on it. I have a good dealer and they will jet it for me when I buy it. I have been reading about springs and know that I want to change the spring too. I planned on doing some kind of snorkel change or addition. I want to pipe it but might have to wait a month or two for the pipes. (still working on the boss over this one.) I was thinking I want the Dalton blue but was unsure how many shims to add. I will ride mostly trails and some of it will be putting along with the kids on there quads so I can't get too extreme on the stall. But I also don't want to get stomped by any stock raptors. I will ride some sand and want to be able to handle Choke Cherry pretty easy with paddles. I was thinking 2 shims but I don't know how much stall that will add. I just want a little extra and then want the better mid-range from the higher rate spring. Some of our trails have lots of rocks and are kind of tight so I still need to be able to crawl and handle technical terrain. I have never done this before but I have friends who do lots of custom snow machine set ups so, I am not affraid to do it just need to get some imput before I screw up what the boss is making me promise will be my last quad for a couple years.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I had a blue spring in mine, 1 shim. No problems at all with any type of riding. If you get a pipe get Muzzy's or there might be a new pipe coming out soon from some company. Mickey Dunlap was talking about it in another thread. Looney something.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

How much does a shim add to the spring numbers. I was looking at the dalton blue because people are saying it provides much better mid range to top end hit. I don't want too much stall and was trying to figure out how to get a little more on the launch without getting too much for slower trails and technical terrain. I am starting to think I understand this a little but I could use imput from people who have set theirs up and got good results. I know the shims raise things a little but I don't know how much. I want to try and get good results without having to play with weights too. That adds too much to the mix for my comfort zone and would require someone more experienced at setting these up. Any info would help Thanks bbertram for the imput on the Dalton Blue did you try it with more shims at all and what are you running now.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Right now I'm trying out a HPD Plain spring, much higher stall and shiftout. Its still trailable, it just takes some getting used to. I'm going to try Dalton's new spring soon as it has a lower stall and less shiftout, should work good for people with pipes.

I don't know how much the shims affect the stall, I don't think they would increase it much but who knows?