Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stumble at mid throttle, plug pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble at mid throttle, plug pics

I did my ram air intake on my V with dual snorkles, that works good. Still waiting for my K&N and outwears and jets. I decided to go for a test run to see how the dual snorkles affected my jetting. It seems to have had an affect, I wasn't sure if it would because in the garage I ran it wide open and the plug were black.

So this is how it goes. I take it down a stretch of road, if I floor it from a dead stop it has noticeable less power and it will stumble about mid way through the RPM range. If I ease into the throttle all the way to max rpm it feels less powerfull again but it will not stumble. I pulled the front plug while out on the road and it looks kinda off. Its not tan and its not black but almost a mixture of the two. Here is what it looks like. Pic 1, Pic 2. The pictures are big so I can show people what my plugs look like.

Let me know what you all think.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I think your lean.......more air and didn't add more fuel yet (jet's).......

Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

From the looks of your splugs they look on the lean side , I would'nt continue running it that way .
You need to start high in jet sizes and gradually make your way down until the desired jet size is appropriate .

What is your current jetting with all your modifications ?

Old 05-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I was lean, was just doing a test. Not sure how lean I am though, are my plugs showing an extreme lean condition?

hehe, I'm not really sure what my jets are. I put in new ones for my dual exhaust last summer, I think we bumped it up one size from stock, not sure though. I should have my new jets this week, 150-170, so I will have all my bases covered.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your plugs are not showing an an extreme lean condition but are pretty much on the lean side which I would'nt continue ridding your atv in that condition since its showing signs stumbling threw the rpm range .
By adding a ram air intake with dual snorkles is allows more air in the air filter and threw the intakes requiering to have more fuel .

Old 05-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

bbertram are these old plugs? I can't tell anything from your plugs if you ran many miles and then put a snork on it. If it only does it through mid range I would put a new set in and run it half throttle and do a plug check.
I agree with all of these posts, you are lean.

PS. I like your plug holder!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Can you tell what my plug holder is? hehe

The plugs are old as the quad. How often should they be changed? I have never had to change the plugs in any of my quads before.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

my plugs are whiter then that and my wheeler is running great .. no slow spots or back fireing... i also read a post before saying that 4 stroke plugs should be lighter then brown?..

Old 05-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You can't do a plug check with old plugs. Kinda like zipping up a fat lady in a sleeping bag and asking 10 people if the lady in the bag is fine!!!! Fact is, you just can't tell.
Get some new plugs in it and do a plug check.
I can tell you right now that everybody is right about it being lean. Maybe someone that has done this mod will chime in and tell you how many jets to go up.
When you get your K&N on, you will get even more air and again have to jet up.
(sorry for my crude analogy, but it is the best I could come up with on short notice)!!!!! He he he ..............

Old 05-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

In my V I run .020 shims, 158-160 I have Muzzy, K & N, O.W. , D.G. snorkle. Sea level. My plugs are dark cream color-- I think water cooled four stroke engines don't need quite the brown color you need in a two stroke engine. I may jet up a little more from where I'm at.

Quick Reply: Stumble at mid throttle, plug pics