Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawi KBEC Kuriousity

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawi KBEC Kuriousity

Well I installed my new V Force belt cover, & removed the KBEC... I had hoped to make a run at the drag strip, but rain kept me working at home...

How to stop the KBEC failure indicator from flashing... as per PRAIRIE633's sugestion, on CONNECTION, I cliped the green / white stripe, & sure enough it quit flashing... however... it didn't appear to switch into 4 X 4 ??? after going in & consulting the wiring diagram in the manual, I had to go out & try something... I put it on the jack, & discovered that it was switching into & out of 4 X 4, however it was not indicating 4 X 4 on the display...

... well, I can hook up a seperate 4 X 4 indicator if it proves to provide acceptable performance increases with the KBEC disconnected...

BUT... I found that for some reason... ( mines an '02 ), my quad now shifted instantly in & out of 4 X 4 ??? no lazy shift in when it felt like it, like before... often it would shift into & out of, 4 X 4, with out even moving the quad ??? Better if you ask me... before everyone goes out & does this, let me make sure that the 4 X 4 / KBEC controller, keeps working properly, & it was my intention, to put the green / white stripe wire on a switch, then be able to reinstall the Prairie belt cover, any time I wanted my KBEC back... if reinstallation goes well, the improved switching to 4 X 4, may make this a worth while mod...

Old 05-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

If this is true its going to be nice. Would this mean if I get stuck in 2wd that I can engage 4x4 without any worries?

Old 05-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Keep us updated Mike, I unplugged the ebc fuse under the seat on my old 650 once just to see how it would do and got 2 more mph top speed, that fork is always putting a little pressure on the bearing and with it completely disengaged it pulls a little better, I would like to be able to wire a toggle switch to mine for when I would not want it to work but still keep my 4X4 function, if you figure out a way to disable it with a toggle switch, let me know......

Old 05-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Brent... I'm still not sure why... It may be a voltage drop accross the circuit in the stock form, that is not there without the KBEC ??? It may have to do with th green / white wires circuit opened ??? but i could easily switch to 4 X 4 & back out, with out even moving the quad ??? perhaps if I install my own indicator, it may go back to its original lazy proceadure... this is to new to explain yet, but there may be a way of easily fixing this for everyone... by the way, I paid $40.00 for the V Force cover from my local dealer, so if you can live without the KBEC, this is not an expensive mod...

Old 05-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I get by without the Kbec on my V-Force just fine, I'm sure I could get used to it on the Praire. If this works, I will love you and so will everyone else who owns a Praire.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

BRENT... PLEASE, you're embarasing me... LOL...

some times the best of discoveries are found by accident...

Old 05-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

STAKK... was that ( unplugging the fuse ), on a fairly stock quad ??? I was hoping to take it to the drag strip to run before / after the KBEC removed to see if I'd have any gain... however, mine may be powerfull enough, to overcome any resistance from the KBEC ???... but it was too wet to go to the strip...

Old 05-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

At the time my 650 had an HMF, jetted, Twin air, EPI red and black springs, 64 mph....after unplugging the ebc fuse, 66 mph same stretch of road....I remember that bone stock it would only do 62 mph....my new 700 would do 67 mph with nothing but Atr's, the 650 had atr's along with everything else......

Old 05-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Mike,
Good find! I have been riding with that flashing 2wd 4wd for some time now and will try it out myself.
I don't really need to switch back, I got use to no engine breaking and don't mind it at all.
Did yours still flash after you disconnected the EBC when in 4wd or just in 2wd? Mine flashes all the time in either one.
I have a toggle switch for the 2wd and 4wd so I know up is in 4wd. I hooked it up after the twist throttle, which I also am getting use to and like.

You should be even quicker know at the strip with the Dalton face plate and the EBC removed. It is lighter which will make you rev and ramp up quicker on the belt. The bearing alone on the Prairie face plate is 90 grams and the Dalton plate is 150 grams lighter than the stock V plate which is just a Prairie plate without a bearing. Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

WILD... yes mine still flashed in 4WD... until clipping the wire... I used the stock 4 X 4 switch, just removed it from the housing, when I installed my twist...Dale was telling me about how to tell if you have the "good" Primary... ( one that will shift up higher, in it's stock form, with the Dalton O.D. plate )... unfortunately mine is not one of them... from what I understand, I may see some gains ( from less rotational mass ), but not the gains that the 700 Primary will provide ( I replaced my Primary in late '03, & was hoping that I would have the "good" clutch )... I guess that the clutches that make full use of the Dalton O.D. plate, have 2 angles on the inner primary sheeve, instead of one angle... So far, the instant 4 X 4 engagement has been an unexpected plus... I'm still trying to understand why this is happening for sure, did yours do this with only the KBEC removed, if not, it may be the result of clipping the wire ??? You'll have to let us know if you have or do see an improvement in 4 X 4 engagement...

Quick Reply: Kawi KBEC Kuriousity