Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mystery stall / what is going on

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery stall / what is going on

<!--endemo-->Today we went to the Dunes just to try to get some more break in time on my V-Force. We were up on top of the Dunes near Thunder Mountain and I left my V running while I tried another V that had paddles on it. I made a couple little runs up the side of the bowl (paddles rock in the sand) and then went to get on my V and it had quit running. Tried to start it and it wouldn't start. Figured it might have flooded out. I know I am a little rich because I haven't messed with the jetting yet and we are above 4000 ft. Anyhow waitted and tried again no start checked everything seemed Ok tried opening the air box lid to let in more air let it sit and tried again still nothing. After 1/2 hour or so we gave up and towed it back to the trailer. tried again before pushing it up onto the trailer a couple other guys looked at it tried to help nothing. Drove home backed the trailer in and just for the heck of it tried it again fired up and ran great. I don't understand whats up why it did this. Maybe need to name it Christine and chalk it up to jealousy, I did ride another V right there infront of her. This is only the second time I have rode it and it has only about 3 or 3 1/2 hours riding so far. Any ideas-sugestions ????????? Was really kind of embarassing having my wife tow my brand new V back to the truck. Had to really work at not throwing things and exercising my full vocabulary of four letter words.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

that seems to happen quite often when idleing and just sitting there.. i think it might of overheated just sittin there while u were riding the other 4-wheeler and when u came back it wouldnt start... and later it didnt start because it was probably still warm.. and normally u have to completely let them cool (which it did by the time it did start for you) b4 it will run again... so next time turn it off so it wont happen to ya.... im suprised u left it runnin any way!!

Old 05-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If it happens again, check the float bowls for gas. Open the drain on the bottom and see if gas comes out. You could have run out of gas, then on the ride home, the float bowls could have filled back up. The fuel in the tank could be strattling the difference between reserve and on.
You could also have pulled the plugs to see if they are black and wet, and that would show rich/flooded conditions.
You did the right thing by pulling the air box lid, to help lean it out and try to start.
How old was the gas in the tank? If it was 2 months or more, that could explain things too. Old gas loses the light volitiles first, the stuff thats easy to ignite.
Most atv motors arent degigned to idle for long, for instance the oil pumps dont put out much volume or pressure at idle, and the stator doesnt put out much voltage or current at idle either. The motors were designed to used at rpms higher than idle. You probably didnt do any damage, but next time you might want to shut it off, if it sits for more than a minute.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I would have thought your dealer would have jetted the bike for your altitude before you brought it home.

If not, I think you guessed it right off. I'll bet you're running too rich. The quad starts when cold because air is denser when cold and the air/fuel mixture is closer to being optimal because you can pack more air in the combustion chamber, thus leaning the a/f mixture a little. When the bike warms up, it needs less gas in the a/f mixture since warm air is less dense, less air gets sucked in during the intake stroke. So the mixture gets richer if the amount of gas is the same and is rich to begin with That's why bikes need choked sometimes when starting cold. So try turning the idle mixture screw in 1/4-1/2 turn to lean the idle out. You shouldn't need to rejet for that since the idle circuit is different than the main jet circuit.

If you have trouble starting it after it's warmed up or flooded, try opening the throttle all the way (don't pump it) while you press the starter button. This opens the carb butterfly all the way and allows more air to flow in.

A few years ago, I bought a couple of Suzuki quads that the dealer set up for sea level (go figure). I live at 4700 ft. and almost always ride above 5000 ft. I went riding on the Paiute ATV Trail and could not get them started at altitude, and they wouldn't stay running. What a nightmare. After I figured out what was going on, I took the quads back to the dealer and told him about the trouble I had starting them. He had the 'mechanic' set them up per the service manual, which specified sea level settings. I never took any more of my bikes to that shop for work.

Hope this helps.
Mark