Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

K-EBC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-EBC Problems

My aunt just bought my uncle a used 03 Prarie 360 for his birthday and until then it will be staying at our place. She bought it from a dealer so has a 30 day warrenty on it and she wanted me to take it for a ride to see how it worked. At first it wouldn't idle but that was fixed by new gas and then I noticed that the KEBC seems to be acting up.

If you ease the gas on you will feel and hear the KEBC disengage (it begins to free wheel real easier) but you can continue to hear the KEBC working and doesn't shut off. When you go to stop and just let off the gas the engine brake is working at speed but once it gets close to stopping it isn't working right and is making a squeling sound. To stop you have to hit the brakes and once you do that the KEBC will shut off (stop making the noise). If you dont touch the brakes it will continue to move and even climb a slight grade and around a turn, without touching the gas. My stepdad has the P650 and when you first take off you can hear the system (like when you turn off the key) but once it does that there is no other noises coming from it, same as when stopping, whereas the 360 is continually making noise. Also the idle is set a little to high (it goes into gear hard because of it) but it doesn't creep.

Does anyone know what could cause the KEBC to malfunction, the bike only has 2600km's on it. Could ththe high idle be part of the problem? If so does anyone know where the idle screw is on the 360 carb? Sorry for the long post and horrible description but any help would be a plus.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default K-EBC Problems

the idle screw is on the right side (sitting on the atv) . look down between the belt cover & t he seat, there is a black *** you can turn to increase or decrease idle..

Could be a high idle problem, I experienced a simular problem were as the atv would go without even hitting the gas & I couldnt even start it in gear because it would die. problem turned out to be one of the pins on my cluth weights had worn out thus not letting the primary cluth disengage competely. Couldt tell for sure if the weight was bent also so I just replaced the clutch weights & pins.

The squeling noise you hear is possibly the primary clutch bearing, they wear out & make a squeling noise while the KEBC is engaged. Easy way to check is take the belt cover off & in the center of the primary clutch plate you'll see a bearing, turn it & if you feel any nitch in it or resistance it's a good bet that's the culprate.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default K-EBC Problems

Sounds like your actuator on the tranmission cover remains partially engaged, thus the machine won't sit still. Put it in gear, and it goes.

My machine did the same thing. Turned out, after over 3 weeks on the shop, they figured out the ignitor had failed. Apparently when one electronic component goes bad, it can wreak havoc on the other systems.

I would rule the other stuff out first, such as the actuator, because the ignitor isn't cheap.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default K-EBC Problems

my 650 did the same thing and i was the actuator malfunctioning. had to get it replaced at around 800
miles, it wasnt cheap either ($234) it has worked fine since