Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Toy Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Box

Going to get a new toy hauler now that the sales are going. Any tips on make, model, upgrades would be really appreciated.

(This might supposed to go on a different forum, but I think the knowledge is on this one.)

Old 06-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

I guess the first thing to consider is size. If your looking for a larger unit, I believe a fifth wheel is the way to go, if not, trailer. I myself went with a Weekend Warrior Fifth Wheel (take a look at my pictures). I'm totally happy with their product although it seems that just about all the manufactures now are offering toy haulers. Again as far as size, if your just looking for a rig to take you on day trips, a smaller trailer size rig may suit you fine, but if your looking for something to pack up, spend a considerable amout of time in and want so comfortable accomadations, a fifth wheel is the way to go, but something you also need to remember, the larger the rig, the larger the truck you'll need. Let me know if there is any other questions I can answer for you. A good forum on this subject is www.glamisdunes.com. Go to their Message Board link and then to RV Technical. Good luck, Putt

Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

kawiyowee,

I'd start from the capacity of your truck and decide what weight you can tow or if you are willing to buy (or already have) a diesel. Here in colorado with the alltitudes we drive at you have to subtract quite a bit from your factory tow capacity. I have been told 2% per 1000' above see level is a good ball park. I was in your situation last summer and since I was unwilling to buy a desiel we bought the used motorhome. I did find some that were (marginally) towable with my f150 (7700lb rating) that would fit 2 utility quads. Ketelson Campers (http://www.wegocamping.com/) is a good place to look as they only sell trailers so they have quite a selection and good knowledge thier main brand is Wanderer which were nice. We came close to buying one from them. After deciding what weight you can tow go spend some time looking at them and decide what features are important to you.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

Things to shop for: Large fresh water tank, 100 gallons plus, Bathroom arrangment, you probably don't want to **** in the shower or shower in the john, next would be haevy duty axles, like the 10,000 lbs axles instead of 7500 lbs. You could look at how the ramp/door hinges and locks up, one lock or two, check the outdoor lighting and plu outlets. Decide weather you want to have an onboard generator of an external like the Honda EU3000I (nice and quiet, sips gas).

Decide how big you really need, my 20footer only weighs 4600 lbs, but my buddy's 26 footer wieghs 7400 lbs.

Another small thing, my FUnrunner has huge picture windows on both sides, I love them, my buddy has a different unit (Fleetwood I think) and he is jealous as heck of my windows.....They are nice cause the view out the windows is awesome....but like I said, small thing.

Another thing, That Fleetwood is so high off the ground that you need an extra step just to get up to the three fold steps at the side door. Granted you have the whole width of the toybox unobstructed by wheel wells, but that thing is so far off the ground you might get a nose bleed. That's great for dragging it down the dirt road, but he wouldn't take that anywhere I wouldn't take my funrunner even though mine is a lot lower to the ground.....

Old 06-10-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

All 3 posts helpful. Thanks.

Mike, will be pulling to Utah on the 21st. Will take some pics for you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

Have fun in Utah and with the new trailer! Going from a tent to any kind of RV is night and day as far as your comfort and desire to go "camping".

Old 06-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default Toy Box

You could also look at the Work and Play By Forest River. They are not near as heavy as some of the others and seem to be very well made with most of the same comforts. I believe this is what I will be getting as it is the only hauler type camper available up hear here near me.

Jay
BS Racing

Old 06-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

Kawi, where you going in Utah?

I just ordered a 2005 Rampage 5th wheel. Another thing to consider is whether you need the fuel station. I ordered mine without as it's a 1000 option and I can take a couple cans for that price. I opted for the biggest generator and a/c too.
Make sure you have enough truck to haul it.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

PADZZ,

Our ATV club is going to the Piaute in two weeks for the week. kawiyowee & I are members of Colorado Quad Runners (cqr.org).

Old 06-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Box

Mike, what trails are you hitting? Where you staying? I'm going on the 18-19th this month. Hopefully there's not too much dust. Then again, I'll be on th Prairie, so that's not something I'll have to worry about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]