Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KEBC disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEBC disconnect

Well, after reading the other posts on unhooking the KEBC, I decided to try it. I first tried it with it hooked up, 71 MPH. The next run was unhooked, 72 MPH, same direction down the same stretch of road. 1 MPH difference doesn't seem like much, but I would bet it's at least 1 Horsepower. I also noted the the engine braking didn't change, hooked up, or not. My theory was correct, then, that my engine brake only works sometimes.

Old 06-12-2004, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KEBC disconnect

Your engine braking from the motor works all the time (whenever you let off the gas)...the KEBC (which is triggered by the KEBC actuator) only kicks in while going forward down a hill at 8 mph or less. At least, that is what I recall.

Thanx for reporting the top-speed diff. with the KEBC unplugged.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default KEBC disconnect

CustomFab,
did you just unplug it? I'd like to disconnect mine (toggle switch?) when I'm driving on ice, its deadly, caused me to lose control and flip at about 20mph, so it must be braking above 8mph, unless thats just natural CVT braking effect?

Old 01-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KEBC disconnect

Yamihoo,
That is the normal engine braking you noticed (at 20mph or so). Basically, normal engine breaking occurs anytime you let off the gas while moving about 9 mph or more. However, when you let off the gas at 8 mph or less, the KEBC will kick in and force the primary clutch to engage the CVT belt (even tho the motor is at idle speed) and the result is an engine brake effect.

Without the KEBC functiong while riding at 8 mph or less with the motor idling, the CVT belt is usually not engaged and thus, normal engine braking cannot occur. If the KEBC does not function properly (at 8 mph or less), then you will "free fall" (no engine braking) when riding down a steep hill assuming the motor is idling (this is similar to the V-force 700). Of course, V-force owners will tell you that its no big deal to not have KEBC b/c all they have to do is hit the throttle slightly to get the engine rpms up so as to re-engage the CVT belt and thus, get the normal engine braking to work again on steep downhills. Personally, I feel more comfortable with KEBC installed and working properly on my quad...but everyone has their own opinions on this.

Hope this helps. Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default KEBC disconnect

great! Thanks Mikeyboy, This is my first auto quad, I never experienced the engine braking before with my prior auto clutch quads. I guess I like the KEBC if it only works below 8mph. I guess I just never experienced the "down shifting" effect of a CVT on quad before, put me in a roll over on some ice couple weeks ago.