Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Biggest module test yet, at the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest module test yet, at the drag strip

well a busy night at the strip, a crashed motorcycle, & too many cars spewing parts on the strip, limited our runs last night ( we were forced to do 2 run averages, rather than our intended 3 runs, & we ran out of time, to run the High Lifter ICM, on the modified quad, & the Nabor module on the stock quad...

the test quads...

Mine. is a FST 750, with the heads planed & flowed, a "ram air type induction system, with dial-a-jets installed, to eliminate a lean condition at WOT, & a Pendland series Big Gun full exhaust system is on the rear... I have a custom wheelie bar, & ran all runs last night, with the 22" Duro's, rather than switching tires around...

Dan's is an internally stock '03 650, with the NYROC muffler mod, & the KBEC unplugged ( I couldn't talk Dan into plugging it back in, he likes it much better with out the KBEC ) he normally runs a set of 26" Mudrunners, however, we mounted a set of stock wheels & tires on the rear, & a set of atr's on the front...

some lessons learned...

last time we were at the strip, it was hot, & on a sunny afternoon... the Duro's performed the best, at normal ATV racing distances... now that summer is here, the Cedar Falls Raceway, holds it's test & Tunes, on Friday nights... well with around 50* temps, & no sun to warm up the track, the Duro's did not hook up worth a darn... I'd have likely gotten much better times, with the stock tires, or the 26" Goodyear MTR's I ran last time, on the "cold Strip"...

I'll likely edit this 1st post several times, until I get the data to look the way I want it to, & will try to add comments on the testing, as needed ( some devises, offered too much acceleration, at take off on the stock quad to control ( which was expected, or at least hoped )... I'd have liked to have gotten a Dyna CDI for my modified quad, as I expect it would show the best increase, as I'm at hard rev limit, often, before I even get to the 1/8 mile...

Look for some pics, after I get the data up ( may take a day or so )...

STOCK ( High Lifter ICM )

60'....................... 2.146 seconds ( 3rd best time )
330'..................... 6.6347 seconds ( 3rd best time )... uncontrolable wheelies
1/8 mile time ........10.854 seconds ( 3rd best time )
1/8 mile speed...... 55.957 mph
1/4 mile top speed .60.24 mph

STOCK ( DG-3 )

60'....................... 2.088 seconds ( 2nd best time )
330'..................... 6.575 seconds ( 2nd best time )
1/8 mile time ........10.818seconds ( 2nd best time )
1/8 mile speed...... 55.59 mph
1/4 mile top speed .60.05 mph

STOCK ( stock CDI )

60'....................... 2.229 seconds
330'..................... 6.7225 seconds
1/8 mile time ........10.9145 seconds
1/8 mile speed...... 56.395 mph ( 2nd best speed )
1/4 mile top speed .60.45 mph ( 3rd best speed )

STOCK ( DGR Hole Shot )

60'....................... 2.0595 seconds ( best time )
330'..................... 6.505 seconds ( best time )
1/8 mile time ........10.6895 seconds ( best time )
1/8 mile speed...... 56.385 mph ( 3rd best speed )
1/4 mile top speed .60.53 mph ( 2nd best speed )

STOCK ( Dyna CDI )

60'....................... 2.1635 seconds
330'..................... 6.711 seconds ... uncontrolable wheelies
1/8 mile time ........10.913 seconds
1/8 mile speed...... 56.5 mph ( best speed )
1/4 mile top speed .62.02 mph ( best speed )

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
1st 5 results are Dan's stock quad... next 4 results are my modified quad
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MODIFIED ( Nabor )

60'....................... 2.0185 seconds
330'..................... 6.213 seconds
1/8 mile time ........10.243 seconds
1/8 mile speed...... 57.74 mph
1/4 mile top speed .58.28 mph

MODIFIED ( DG-3 )

60'....................... 1.997 seconds ( 3rd best time )
330'..................... 6.154 seconds ( 2nd best time )
1/8 mile time ........10.1575 seconds ( 2nd best time )
1/8 mile speed...... 58.13 mph ( 3rd best speed )
1/4 mile top speed .58.53 mph ( 2nd best speed )

MODIFIED ( stock CDI )

60'....................... 1.9965 seconds ( 2nd best time )
330'..................... 6.168 seconds ( 3rd best time )
1/8 mile time ........10.1605 seconds ( 3rd best time )
1/8 mile speed...... 58.26 mph ( best speed )
1/4 mile top speed .58.54 mph ( best speed )

MODIFIED ( DGR Hole Shot )

60'....................... 1.9795 seconds ( best time )
330'..................... 6.112 seconds ( best time )
1/8 mile time ........10.0955 seconds ( best time )
1/8 mile speed...... 58.195 mph ( 2nd best speed )
1/4 mile top speed .58.24 mph

A copy from my previous post, concerning times with a hot day, & warm track...

Fastest 60 ft time ... ( 1.929 ) done with the Duro's

Fastest 330 ft time ... ( 5.999 ) done with the Duro's

Fastest 1/8th mile time ... ( 9.781 ) done with the stock tires & wheels

Fastest 1/8th mile speed ... ( 64.07 mph ) done with the 26" Goodyear MTR radials

Fastest 1/4 mile speed ... ( 68.7 mph ) done with the MTR's

Old 06-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the hard data, been waiting a long time for something other than seat-of-the-pants reviews. So much for the "magic" DG3 out running everything else. It's just another module.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

The [magic] DG3 has won in several real world drag races in the dirt. most of us dont run wheelie bars and race down a paved drag strip. The guys at the nation dynoed a Dyna against a dg3 and was within 1/2 half a horsepower and beat the dyna at the organized drags. Of course that was in the dirt in real world conditions, in other words the dg3 could put its power to the ground and win. There has been many reports that the reworked Dynas no longer have kick back or technical issues but do not perform nearly as well as the problem plagued first version that was tested at the strip. I will put my money in a proven trouble free product that wins in the dirt anyday
Tonto

Old 06-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Think again, Tonto57. One machine was close to stock, w/o any wheelie bars, plus a lower margin of error due to running on pavement. In 0 to 330 feet (a distance most people running an ATV would be concerned with) even the stock CDI with NO add-ons was faster than the DG3. The DG3 was slowest of all combos in the 1/8th mile speed. Even DGR's original Holeshot out-performed the DG3 (and the other modules). I've seen so many posts where people talk about out-running machines by 4-5 lengths in 300' by just adding the DG3. The other post kicked around constantly is the guy that says his DG3 equipped P650 pulls hard to the rev limiter (it just flies to it's top speed now, blowing away modded Grizzlies and P700's in it's path). I believe it's mostly wishful thinking.
If you think newbeatle's info is B.S., let us know. I think it's probably very close to reality.

Old 06-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Mike, I get my FST 785 back July 11th, we have an 1/8 mile track here, Humboldt, Iowa,,, maybe we should take ours out there and see how bad we can make the bikes look! LOL!!!!

Old 06-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'd like to see the following runs.

Stock vs

degree key
degree key plus holeshot
DG3
DG3 plus key.

Someone needs to get you an 02 Dyna too Mike.

A fool and his money will soon part if you think a module, ignition, or add on will make you invincible in a drag race. Every little bit helps, but, a bad launch can hand you your @ss mighty quick.

Old 06-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

DWB, I agree 100%, I raced a stock p700 in the finals at the Windrock spring ride and got beat by about 1 foot, 4.36 vs. 4.35 seconds, in 150 ft, it's all who gets the jump off the line and people here are missing this, he jumped me a bike length off the line because he took off and I was spinning 4 tires with my Dyna, but I ran him down at the finish line and made up that bike length down to 1 foot........notice it says "uncontrollable wheelies" from the Dyna.......If the guy was having to let off to get the front end back down on the ground, sure the times are going to be slower, you can't full throttle the Dyna without wheelieing then the times will be slower.......It seems that some people are set on bashing the Dyna no matter what, even Mike said on the other forum that in all fairness to the Dyna it made so much power that the front end would not stay down, and it made great burnouts......I am NOT brand loyal and look at all these company's fairly.....The biggest surprise to me was the Ole Holeshot from DG outperformed its newer DG3....Whats up with that? is the old tech original better than the new? this test made it seem so.......We all knew the Highlifter ICM was hype, the DG3 was to me a good bang for the buck, even though this test showed the Holeshot superipor to it, and last the Dyna, even though problem plaqued with it's first run, seem to be the best for top speed and top end,with the higher rev limit....I still think bashing the Dyna performance in light of the info given is not fair.....however bashing the Dyna quality due to the problem's with the first run should be expected.......

Old 06-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

how do i disconnect the kebc

Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

I bought the high lifter module before finding this forum. I read the dg3 was the way to go so I sent the hi lifter back, but kept the jet and k&n filter kit that hilifter said I had to have or I would burn down. The dg3 I had my dealer install with a shut off switch. It didn't work. They sent another and cut off the white wire so not to rig up the switch. This module works. Still not sure if I should jet up one from stock. Would love to see how the key works, haven't installed mine yet. By the time I pay labor for the module and key installed I could of bought the dyna cdi box which would be simple for me to put on and off.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

I am glad other people are doing some testing, thanks Newbeatle. I just have some comments that are based on some of my test experiences in the past.

We used a stock P700 for some acceleration tests, and found that the standard deviation of even the stock baseline runs was greater than any of the module's improvement for the 0 to 10MPH range. It appeared that the launch technique would always vary from run to run, and invalidate the 0-55MPH results. We found that by timing from a 10MPH rolling start, we could produce consistant times, and used that as the test baseline, and did runs from 10-55MPH. In short, it seemed that the holeshot (not DG Holeshot), always dominated the outcome, reguardless of the device tested. Two runs is probably not enough to calculate a meaningful standard deviation, but how consistant was the stock 60' and 330' runs? Any ideas on why the Dyna didn't run away from the other modules in the 1/8th and 1/4? Was it a 1st gen or 2nd gen Dyna? They say the "kickback" versions were faster, but that hasn't been proven yet. The DG3's results remind me of a post on HL? or the Nation? I read from someone running a Holeshot on an Arctic Cat 650. He upgraded to the DG3 and said he ran the same against his friend's P650. He called the DG3 people and eventually found the speed input wire was the problem, causing the DG3 to never change the output or something like that. Since the Dyna plugs right in, it couldn't have this kind of problem, so I don't know about it. The guy with the P700 we used for testing bought the Dyna to test with, but was afraid and sent it back after a few kickbacks before we could do test runs with it. If his replacement works good, and the plugs are the same, I plan on re-testing with a completely stock Brute Force. (My P650 is already sold). I can only test what I will have, HL Power Pack, old tired DG Holeshot, Dyna if it will plug in, and DG3 with and without the offset key, which I haven't ordered yet. If the new Brute Force's Igniter will plug into a Prairie 650/700, we will test that to see if there is any improvements. I have already ran a V-Force Igniter on my old P650, but it is a pain to do the connections. Look for some tests as soon as I have the new KVF750 broken-in.... I call my Dealer everyday but they seem to be the last to know anything. I had to point him to Kawasaki's website before he would believe that the Brute Force even existed? And if you are buying the first one they get in and don't get there when it arrives, you might drive up and find all of the service guys joyriding it across the parking lot. That's what happened to me when I bought the first P650 in this area.

Quick Reply: Biggest module test yet, at the drag strip