Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Biggest module test yet, at the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest module test yet, at the drag strip

I want to add my 2 cents in here. I bought a Dyna CDI, and work for a couple of weeks and went bad. They replaced it as quickly as possible and there service was great. Despite the problem with the first unit I got, I would do it all again. Service is what matters to me, and I feel I got it.
Now that being said, it's saturday and I'm going riding!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: NovaKaw650 -

Zooom - again, lots of info (you obviously know this unit inside and out, and for good reason), but no answers. How do the multiple frequency outputs optimize the stock igniter timing curve?
And what's your opinion about the Ross650 post that states "a several quad length win in 300ft over an identical Holeshot equipped Prairie? Is this what you expect, or are there other factors/errors at work in that particular example? I do a little drag racing, and it takes considerable work to develop a several quad length lead over 300ft. Would you agree that if I changed to a DG3 module from my current module, I would see a several quad length increase over 300ft, as Ross650 has said?
Zooom - had to drag this one up again because my questions have gone unanswered. How 'bout it?

Old 07-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

I am not real familiar with timing, hence this question to the forum and dyna:

I read that 8* key + dyna cdi would be too much advance and maybe damage the engine.

I also read that 4* key + dyna cdi results in horsepower gains. Is there any risk in installing the 4* key and damaging the engine? Does the 4* key result in acceleration gain when used with Dyna CDI?

Thanks for any info.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Dynascott: pls ck your msgs.....thanks

Old 07-31-2004, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard that the 4 degree key along with the Dyna CDI will produce significant top end gains. Around 75mph. This is all I will say about this as I dont usually pass on hearsay without me testing it yet. Since I already have the 4 degree key in and access to a Dynatec CDI I will test this in the near future.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

KOD, thanks for posting your plan....I will wait for your results before installing a key.

Rubicon2003 says no problem and that he is running both. I think customfabandweld has both also. Scottdyna says 2* key would be best.

How will you tell if the ignition is not too far advanced with both 4* key and dyna cdi?

Old 08-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Only way to tell if to much advance is present is to look for deminishing performance. Hopefully in two weeks I will get to try out the Dyna CDI.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: KISSSOFDEATH
Only way to tell if to much advance is present is to look for deminishing performance.
There are a few other things to watch out for with too much timing. The biggest would be detonation, which you should be able to hear as pinging. It will sound like a bag of marbles, or like someone is tapping your engine with a ball peen hammer. This is a very bad thing, as detonation results in huge spikes in cylinder pressure, which can lead to broken engine parts. Cars use knock sensors to listen for the detonation and try to counteract it, you will just have to rely on your ears. If you have much, you can also see the effects of it as silver specks on your plugs.

Higher octane gas will help keep this from occuring. And I'd recommend the higher octane gas or even race gas over using the octane boosters, which generally only will increase the fuels octane by one or two. You just have to see if all the extra timing, and more expensive fuel, actually nets you any more power. The dyno is the best way to tell that.

Brad