Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got my Dyna replacement CDI today

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Dyna replacement CDI today

By the way Mike Walker, nice to talk to you today.........OK, not a real trail ride but rode for about 20 mins, no kick back at all, it acts totally different during start-up, rev's in neutral really fast.......The powerband:::: bottom end is quite a bit stronger than the original, in low and high, I am very sure of this, the old one did not wheelie like this one does.....the midrange is strong, about like the original, and top end pull feels stronger than the old one.......top speed in low with the stock CDI was 45 mph ( I have the EPI black spring) top speed in low with the Dyna 49 mph......in high I don't have a long stretch to see absolute top speed but I run telephone pole distances to gage my speed, in this stretch of road, the stock CDI would run 61 mph, once it ran 62 but never anything faster, today with the Dyna I pulled 65 mph in the same distance and had to let off.......I am also still stock on jetting with a K&N, 138/142 Keihin mains.......I am going to go with the 142/145 combo and see if performance increase's.......The fastest I have had my P700 with the stock CDI was 67 mph on the speedo.......with what I ran today, If I ever get on that LONG stretch of highway I did 67 on, I think with the Dyna it will do 70-71 mph on the speedo.......I'll post a detailed trail ride report after this weekend..........

Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thats great. I hope it continues to work out for you. Keep us informed on the top speed. I also noticed a 2 mph gain on top end when I tired out the test cdi. I never had the chance to check out the cdi I had and sent back.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to carry my stock one for a while until I feel safe about the replacements quality... LOL.... I have made up my mind if this one acts up, I will tell Dyna they have one last shot, three strikes and their out........I am about 99% sure that with the way the old one acted, and the way this new one act's, that the old one was over-advancing the timing at start-up, which would cause the kick back and poor performance on many, this one start's smooth like the stocker and usually fire's on the 2nd engine revolution......I was also useing 89 octane fuel and it did fine, the mid range and top end on my old Dyna was fine just the kick back and the bottom end was not much more than the stocker, this new one has a bottom end like the Holeshot module did, 1/4-1/2 throttle and you are standing straight up, then a hard consistant pull all the way through the powerband........If it remains like this, then I can say they are fixed, at least mine is.....I will post after a good trail ride.............

Old 06-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I Hear You Stakk,

I am sending my kicking back unit in tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Mine only kicks back if I'm not starting it just right. Probably 6 out of 100 starts I hear a small thunk. Going to send it back when I find the original.

You've got a great bike, dyna is working good, relax....you're good to go.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Kawi
What size and type Jets and Carb setup are you running with the DYNA CDI?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

Just got my replacement CDI yesterday, Installed it and rode it around the yard, It will now pull wheelies
in high range on pavement, The original dynatec would not do that. Midrange feels really strong, will report
more after a longer trail ride.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

tuffenuf: Sorry to admit this, but I don't know. The dealer set up the clutching and carbs on a dyno for 8,000 - 12,000 ft elevation before I bought it. It started hesitating above 10,000', installed dg snorkle, '03 airbox and dyna. Runs good at all elevations now.

From what I read on here, most guys are not having to change their jetting just for the dyna.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

StaKK was your bike hard to start on the DYNA you sent back?

The only difference I can tell on the Dyna I got (one of the first ones, Ordered it in April 04) is the full power in reverse. The DG holeshot seems to pull as hard as the dyna. I also notice my bike is harder to start now and will not pull the wheels on pavement if you punch it above 10 MPH.

After the holiday I'll hopefully get me some bigger jets and larger pilot Jet and experiment with needles to see if it pulls harder Mid-topend and see if low speed caugh goes away.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

My first one was hard to start and would do the kickback now and then, didn't perform as good as this replacement does either. I would send it back and have it tested......

Quick Reply: Got my Dyna replacement CDI today