Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P700 jetting woes..... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P700 jetting woes..... HELP!!

Ok, I've been fighting the jetting on my P700 for a month now.... I've tried so many combinations, that I've gotten lost somewhere.... I REALLY appreciate it if I could get some feedback as to what some of you guys would suggest considering my mods... Remember, this is for a P700.

Thanks!

Here is the setup..

Dyna CDI
Nyroc Muffler mod - (w/6x 3/8" holes drilled 14" deep, baffle removed, and tip completely hollowed out.)
Nappa hose snorkle mod
stock wheels and tires
stock clutch springs
Progressive front springs

Here are the symptoms:

- hard starting
- good bottom end (wheelies from dead stop w/no pulling no problem)
- flat in the middle -
- top speed down to 62mph... and caughs and stumbles at WOT at times.

Any ideas??

Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I know this is going to go aginst the grain! but I would say lose the Napa Hose and give it a try?. I was told by a Team Kawasaki tech that the Prairie 700 breaths fine with a good aftermarket air filter and adding more air doesnt always make for better proformance. My jetting was right at 145/148 with an aftermarket full exhaust system but I still got a few pops from time to time when coming down from fast speeds and seemed to lose a little of its pull? I was running the DG Snorkle. After I took it off the DG and put the stock snorkle back on just about all the back firing stopped? Maybe once in a great while now but not very offen. She's running real strong and pulls hard almost all the way to 70 mph, I weight 240lbs. Im going to play with it a little more in the future and will try do a dyno run down the road to make it perfect But it's almost there now. Shimin the needle .20 may be the answer also? I wanted to wait until I was ready to dyno and check and see where the the power would be? DG/Shim vs Stock/unshim etc. etc. Im sure someone eles will chim in with the nyroc mod and can help you more? I just wanted to through it out and see if losing the hose will help you?. ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com
Priairie 700
TRX250R
And a bunch of other Toyz!

Old 07-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Range Rover

Marylandatv -

I'm at a point I'm about ready to try anything... I've even considered going back to as close to stock as possible, andstart over! lol
I might try shimming the needles first, and see where that goes. What about the dyna-jet needles? Any good? I had considered the dial-a-jet system, but I've read some really mixed reviews on those. I've really been spoiled with EFI on cars these last 15yrs or so. My last 4 "toys" have all been EFI... (2002 Hyabusa 1300, 1998 Mustang GT vert, 1998 GrandPrix GTP, 1998 C1500 3-dr) I'd forgotten what a pain carbs and mods were... LOL

Old 07-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

It should be pertty easy to put the stock snorkle back on and see if it works?? You gotta remember a lot of factors come into play with jetting, Sea level, Are you running an aftermarket air filter? have you upped your jetting to 145/148? How many turns on the air screws are you making? did you turn your air screws?~lol Are you lean or rich? eTc eTc?? Im not an expert and Im sure by the end of the day someone with the nyroc muffler will be chimin in? or just email Nyroc he seems to be very helpful and it is his idea. Ive heard both good and bad about the dyno jet kits and dial a jets myself But Im sure they both work well or people wouldnt be buying them? Sometimes its easier and less frustrating just to start over or have a Professional do it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] All my mods I do myself, that is until I get in trouble~LOL ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
TRX250R
And a bunch of other Toyz!

Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

jetting
Heres a good article on jetting , with symptoms of lean and rich, and some tips getting it just right.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

unless you going to do alot of riding at varying elevations then forget the Dial-a-Jet idea. Try going up a size on both carb and shiming the needles. Sounds like you needle and jet circuits may be a tad lean.

Good luck
cart

Old 07-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: hondabuster
jetting
Heres a good article on jetting , with symptoms of lean and rich, and some tips getting it just right.

IMO, it's a good article on motorcycle carburetor function; you can toss the part about reading the plug's porcelain. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vengence,
A few months ago, I also experienced a stumble at high speeds (50 mph or more) and discovered that I was jetted too rich. After I dropped down to the right main jet sizes, it ran fine with no more stumble at any speeds. NOTE: I have DAJs, so my jetting experience may or may not help you. My advice is that you read your plugs and go from there. Seems like a lot of folks on these atv forums prefer stock Keihen main jets and (adjustable) Dynojet needles and many others use stock Keihen main jets and shim their stock needles. While the shims are a cheaper alternative than buying the dynojet kit (for the adjustable needles), I have read that the shape/taper of the dynojet needles are supposedly better than the shape/taper of the stock keihen needles. Since I have DAJs, I have no need to adjust my needle jets at all (but this is NOT a recommendation for you to buy DAJs to fix your carb problems).

Good luck and Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]