Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

what mods for a '02 Lakota Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what mods for a '02 Lakota Sport

hello all, I am fairly new to all this and could use some help. I am getting ready to put some mods on my '02 Lakota and had couple questions.

I done a bunch of reading on the internet and everything I've read has the SuperTrapp IDS2 pipe. I talked to a few of my local MX shops and they said the DG Excellerator would be a better buy even for the added cost. The cost doesn't bother me I just want the better of the two pipes. Can anyone tell me which one I should go with?

I also have a K&N pod (clmp on) filter on order. With the new exhaust and filter will I need to replace the pilot jet and the main jet?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

well i have a supertrap on my old lakota and it gave good power,but if i had it to do over, i would of gone with the dg,because of the looks and it performs as one of the best in the mags.If you go with dg,i recommend the stage 3 xcellerator race version.Also you will need to rejet for more performance.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

i also have a lakota and where could i find a stage three. i have a rockymountain catolog but it does not have any stages at all. why did you not like your supertrapp. did it give it more power my dad thinks getting a pipe for the lakota would be a waste of money. i am also thinking of getting a 330 kit. Do they make bigger kits than that if so where could i find one. And does the mojave carb really give it that much more power.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I was planning on getting the stage 3 race DG pipe. I've already purchased 5 different main jets. I wasn't sure what one I would need so I bought 138, 140, 142, 146, 148. What doesn't make sense to me is which way I should go with the jets. The stock main jet is 140 (non-california model). In this article, https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...art-3-Next.cfm, they put on a K&N power pack and dropped the jet to 138. Actually I believe they went all the way down to 136 then back up to 138 after putting on an IDS 2. Can someone explain how this works?

Old 07-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

i didnt get it either. but then again i always thought the lakota was runnin a little rich. how much can you get a stage 3 for.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

well you don't have to rejet,but its best to,because it gives you more throttle response and more power.Also you can get that dg exhaust at dgperf.com and they should have the jet sizes recommended with the pipe.the supertrap pipe is a great pipe,but i'm just saying i would get the dg next time because there great exhausts to and has good power and look the best imo.the stage 3 xcellerator race version costs $284 plus shipping.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am planning on rejetting I just didn't understand the whole 140 to 138 thing. Anyway, the DB system can be ordered online at dgperf.com for $284 (just like clover said) but that is for the silencer only. The complete exhaust system is $325 and can also be purchased online at dgperf.com. I'm just going to have my local MX shop order for me... same cost.

Anyone know how much the stock battery weights? It looks like it is super heavy. I am thinking of taking the battery down to Battery Exchange (local shop dealing in only batteries, all shapes and sizes) and seeing if I can get a battery that is much lighter but has the same Amp/Volt stats. Then remounting it where somewhere where the air box system used to be. Not sure if there is enough room for that or not. Any thoughts on my battery swap idea?

Old 07-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

what about the dg rcm alloy. i have one on my 230(loud) would it give more power or about the same as the stage 3. its kind of hard to pass up a full system for only 137.00.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Keep in mind I don't have any experience with either system. I can only speak to what I've read online. With that said the stage 3 excellerator is a much better system than the rcm alloy. It is supposed to perform better and be more adjustable, etc. Thats just what I've read in the reviews. I'll let you know how the excellerator performs once I get it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

You have the jet size thing all screwed up. The article you read was referring to dynojet jets (DJ138) where the stock jets are keihin (#140). The DJ jet is sized by flow where the stock one is sized by the diameter, there is no crossing the numbers and get the same size. I DJ134 is considerably larger than the stock 140. If you were to replace the stock 140 with a larger optional jet I would say the #142 rite now and #146 when you do the pipe and filter.

As far as the DG pipe, I'm not sure about the one your talking about but the one DG offered a year or so ago the super trapp is far superior to it, by far.

The set up that is very nice for the lakota's is a K&N filter, super trapp pipe, dynojet jet kit and a 13T front sprocket. This set up changes the lakota to a very sporty and snappy ride, you will not regret it.

The mojave carb works very nice but hold off untill the mods catch up with you.

Quick Reply: what mods for a '02 Lakota Sport