Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Front Shocks for Mojave

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Shocks for Mojave

i don't think 400 ex front shocks will work either. i have a 250r on the back of mine and works up front. i think a aftermarket shock up front is the only way you can do it.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

400ex and 250r frt shocks are the same

Old 07-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

so the rear shock will bolt right up?

Old 07-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about. ya gotta grind the tabs of the swingarm a bit to fit the bottom of the shock in place. I just got my hands on one on ebay, the best $200 I ever spent, and it was even revalved for a 220lb rider- while I'm not up that far, it's a nice freebee...........

Old 07-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, I ran into another surprise while trying to mount up the 250R rear shock. Having finished grindintg the needed clearance on the swingarm- I found that the bolts for the 250R shock were much bigger in diameter than the Mojave stockers. I found these bolts to be 14mm. Finding a drill bit this size is impossible, tried a 9/16 bit- found that it was too large so I returned it. I settled on a 17/32 bit which is just a shade smaller and gently rounded out the hole larger with a rat tailed file. Will I find any other surprises? Oh, and by teh way, congratulations Mr mojaveaddict on you ebay win the 38 toooth sprocket, I was eyeballing it myself, but got too busy and missed it.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

PS-- I'm restoring another mojave, I've got all the plastics and the frame and everything has been painted so I just need and engine. I'd like to make this my 'mellow' quad for my guests etc. so I was going too settle on a Lakota engine with automatic trans, electric start etc but can't find one. So a couple questions I have for you all- will the transmission internals from a Lakota engine fit the Mojave engine, probably more work than it's worth but... 2) Will and engine from a Bayou bolt into the Mojave frame?
Thanks

Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kwackermann
So a couple questions I have for you all- will the transmission internals from a Lakota engine fit the Mojave engine, probably more work than it's worth but... 2) Will and engine from a Bayou bolt into the Mojave frame?
Thanks
No and No. The lakota engine will not bolt directly into a mojave frame either. There is really a good bit of difference between a lakota frame and a mojave frame. One major issue is that the lakota frame drops down about and inch or so under the engine to allow room for it. and of course all the mounts are different.

Yea Kwacker, I thought that was a good deal on that sprocket and I needed a spare. Glad you missed it, LOL just kidding.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

.......................................LOL on the missed sporcket 'addict. About the Lakota/ Mojave similarities- a good deal of parts are interchangeable, the plastices will fit, yes? Oh, by the way- where do you race, what class and that sort of thing? I just bolted up my 250R shock and Lakota swingarm this morning, it all fits.
Thanks

Old 07-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

yea most everything is the same, plastic, suspension, axle, brakes, and etc. but the frames are different and have different motor mounts, different foot pegs, different foot brake levers, shift levers and so on. and then there is the radiator mount stuff on the mojave that the kota does not have.

I race various local series but my favorite is the jmx series because it has a sportsman atv class that I like to race in. Race novice class sometimes too.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I am waiting for my 250r shock to come in. I hope it isn't to hard to make fit so far from what I gather all I will need to do is grind the bottom shock mount and drill the hole out with a 17/32 drill bit, am I correct?

Quick Reply: Front Shocks for Mojave