Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 belt/clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 belt/clutch problems

My brother and I both have p650's (02) we both are getting a lot of belt chirp at engagement and are wearing belt out way too fast. I have used 4 belts in 1700 miles, and changed my secondary clutch and drive cluth. when I changed the drive I went to the 700 cluth and belt seems to have helped so far. I am thinking of trading for the new BF but am a little leary due to all the problems and apsoluteley no help from Kawi. Has anyone had these same problems, should I wait for the new king quad? My brother has all the same problems plus overheating issues his dealer can't seem to fix. My gut feeling is never buy another Kawi product again unless someone can assure me that these problems have been fixed on the BF.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

How can anyone on this forum "assure" you that the problems have been fixed on the Brute Force? It has not been out long enough for anyone to have enough miles/ hours on one to attest to belt longevity. Best thing you can do is a. bite the bullet and jump in with both feet and buy a new Brute Force right now, or b. wait 6 months and keep a watch on the forums to see what Brute Force owners have to say after they get some significant seat time on them.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have 2300 on mine but it is ready for a change we have 5 650,s in the club all have gotten over 1500 and still going. You have to keep them adjusted. Thats it and by the way my local Kaw dealed hasent a clue and yours may not either.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Range Rover

If you spend any time at all reading this site and your still having belt issues, there's something your missing. I've got 1500 miles on my original belt and its still looking very good, I don't plan to change it for awhile. Make sure it stays adjusted to spec and you'll stop burning them up. I'm sure the new Brute is an incredible toy, but I'm not giving up my 650 for a long time to come. And I'm not going to let a loose belt convince me that Kawi builds junk. Been riding a Kawasaki in one form or another for 20 years, and I haven't been dissapointed yet. Adjust your belt, to spec, and it will be fine.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I'm sure that time will tell, but if you look at the Brutes specs, you'll see an 8.8 to 1 compression ( the Prairies are at 9.9 to 1 )... this lower compression ratio, while likely done to limit the power, should help it run cooler... & I'm with the rest of these guy's on belt issues... I'm currently running about a 12.5 to 1, 750cc BBK in my prairie, & I'm positive it will kick Brute force butt, & have had no belt problems since the install... the older 650 belts are pretty bad, installing the 700 belt is the way to go...

Old 07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

4 Belts in 1700 miles is crazy?? It really sounds like something wasnt installed right? Big time! Did you do it yourself? or a kawasaki Dealership? Who ever did it? After the 2nd belt I would have taken it to someone who knows how to install? I have a buddy that had belt problems and it turned out the Dealer he was taken it too sucked! After his 2nd belt there, He had to take it to another dealer to find out they wernt doing it right and missed a few other problems as well. Now hes running perfect with over 5000 miles on the Prairie. I have 150 hours and 1600 miles on my original belt, with no real problems, It has slipped and screamed one or two times because of conditions and what I have put it through but engages great. I just installed a EPI Pink Spring and the belt looks fine, I should get another 1000 before I need to put a new one in if not more? No one I know owns a Brute Force yet and I cant wait to bang bars with one!~lol. If your thinking of getting one? I say GO FOR IT! If thats what your interested in? It sounds like a FUN! IRS utility quad from what you read on the form here! BUT I still think if your a sport quad rider at hart the Prairie is unbeatable! Because its a Utility Quad that doent know it is!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
Team Green Plastic
Progressive Springs
OMF Beadlocks
Maxxis Big Horns
Dyna CDI
EPI Pink Spring
Twin Air Filter
HMF Penland Exhaust
And a Bunch of other Toyz

Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

I, too, have a '02 650. It has about 3 500 km and I have adjusted the belt once. I think the black spring is an asset. As far as the overheating issue, I installed a Kooney (sic?) module and some Water Wetter and it runs quite a bit cooler. With a few modifications, this quad performs as well, if not better, than others in its class. I have no regrets in purchasing this product at all especially when I see the problems that others are having with models from other manufacturers.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback, Yes my dealer did all the work up to the point of puttung the 700 belt and clutch on. I like some of you didn't trust them any more. I do feel more confident now and my start looking for a new BF. I also installed the Dalton srings.