Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Front Differenctial!! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Differenctial!! PLEASE HELP!!

Hey guys, i have an '02 prairie 650 and i have a leak in my front differencial seal. where the front drive shaft goes into the front differencial. i have a leak in that seal. i was hopeing someone out there knows how to take the differencial out. ( which i really dont want to unless i must), or if i can somehow take the drive shaft out without totally takeing the differencial out so that i can change the seal out while the differencial is still in the general area. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks riders.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:37 PM
MDG
Range Rover

I'm having the same problem but it is going into the shop to be fixed under warranty.
I did read up about it in my service manual a couple days ago. The drive shaft will come off without removing the diff. Remove the o-rings from the boots on the driveshaft (2 on each boot). Slide the boots toward the center of the shaft. Now push the driveshaft towards the engine and the front end should come out of the diff (the shaft is spring loaded) and then pull it out. Look in the hole where the shaft came out of the diff. There should be a nut.

This is where I'm not sure, as far as I can remember Remove the nut and the seals come out with a coupling. There is an inner and outer seal that need to be replaced. They are about $4 each on ronayers.com.

Oh and it said if there is any damage at all on the o-rings to replace them too.

Hope this helps
Good Luck.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Maddog, have you done this yet? I have a manual too and everything MDG mentioned is correct but the procedure after the propeller shaft removal does not exist. The manual does mention to remove the front diff nut but this is in the gear case disassembly procedure and they are holding the front diff in a vice with a Kawi gear holder.

If anyone has done this your input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

You do not take any nuts off......see my reply on the 650 owners checking frt motor mt bolts
02 650 camo