Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V cams in P700 - Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V cams in P700 - Dyno results

I recently put V cams in my P700. To confirm the work of others, I think the end result is worth the effort of switching cams or altering the stock ones to remove the advance.

From my time on the dyno I measured a 4HP gain with the cams and an additional HP with proper jetting. Seat of the pants results are just as pleasing.

Dyno results If the image is too small to read then mouse over the image and click the "enlarge" button that appears in the lower right corner. Or increase your monitor resolution. The top graph is my machine prior to the cams. The bottom graph is my last 3 runs with the cams and proper jetting.

The midrange boost is very nice. I don't have an accurate top end comparison because the dyno guy cut it off at 9,000 rpm on each run. It had room to go. I never got that many rpm's with the stock P700 cams. That I know for sure.

It seems pretty obvious that Kawi rolled these cams to slow these machines down. If you want a nice boost then I would not ignore this mod (or another set of cams).

My mods are modified intake, Twin air filter, HMF QS1 exhaust (flows like stock), Dynatek ignition, Dynojet kit (124/128 needles on 4th) and of course the V cams.

DWB

Old 07-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

thanks !!

Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

DWB... did you try the stock CDI with the cams, just to see how much of a difference the cams would make on a quad with the stock CDI ???

Old 07-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, DWB - this mirrors what my machine does, and is about the same as reds650's dyno runs after adjusting the cams. This is one of the cheapest and best mods you can do to increase the mid-range and top-end power. Add a degree key & good module, or a Dyna CDI and you're flying!
To those that have been saying that the DG3 makes their 650/700 pull hard to the redline - unless this DG3 somehow adjusts the cam timing too (LOL), it just ain't happening!

Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

novakaw650, I can also verify that. This past weekend on a long downhill run on pavement with the DG3 and 4 degree offset key in I hit 68mph at 8100 rpm. I might could have held it a little longer buy I was holding my cap with one hand and driving for life with the other. I also want to mention this was with the Dalton P/W primary spring. I know for a fact I made higher rpms with another primary spring but I cant remember which one it was.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

KOD - get those FST cams or roll back the timing of the stock cams and the 650 will scream to 68mph (and maybe more)

Old 07-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

DWB... did you try the stock CDI with the cams, just to see how much of a difference the cams would make on a quad with the stock CDI ???

Unfortunately no. I had accidentally left it at home. I worked till 10pm on friday, scrambled to get ready, got a few hours of sleep, and made my way north for the weekend. As I made my way home on tuesday I swung in for my dyno appointment. It would have been interesting to see how a stock CDI graph would look after the cams.

This is one of the cheapest and best mods you can do to increase the mid-range and top-end power.

I am definitely convinced.

Nova, Do you happen to know the cam timing for the Brute? I assume it has the same timing as the Prairie and would benefit from this too.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DirtyWhiteBoy -
Nova, Do you happen to know the cam timing for the Brute? I assume it has the same timing as the Prairie and would benefit from this too.
It would stand to reason that it would be, but I don't know for sure.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

I recall one of you guys works at a dealer. I thought maybe it was you and that you might have that info. I can't find it anywhere yet. I'll know for sure once my friend orders a manual. He thinks he'll be satisfied with the Brute as is with the Dyna added. I know otherwise.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm curious now about any exhaust gains that could be had. Funny thing is I am making just shy of the 36 HP that a friends V is making with dual exhaust. I've never been one to buy into exhaust gains on a stock machine. I got a sweet deal on the QS1 so I decided to try it for academics, a little bling, hate of excess noise, and because I ride in national forest.

I know another V that is having head work done, has dual exhaust, and is expected to get 38HP on the dyno. I don't know about you, but, that is getting expensive and involved for not much gain. I'm not knocking it. My point is this mod on a stock machine is quite the bang for the buck when coupled with an ignition, intake, and jetting.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KISSSOFDEATH
novakaw650, I can also verify that. This past weekend on a long downhill run on pavement with the DG3 and 4 degree offset key in I hit 68mph at 8100 rpm. I might could have held it a little longer buy I was holding my cap with one hand and driving for life with the other. I also want to mention this was with the Dalton P/W primary spring. I know for a fact I made higher rpms with another primary spring but I cant remember which one it was.
68 mph at 8100 rpm....My friend had my 700 to 71 mph with Atr's, how many rpm was 71 mph???? 8500-8600 ????what do you think KOD

Quick Reply: V cams in P700 - Dyno results