Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Thinner head gasket for more compression?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinner head gasket for more compression?

One thing is for sure, I will save some money. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I hope you are right about the website.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Just called Cometic gasket company and they told me the stock gasket is a single layer and that reaching 11:1 by changing the gasket is impossible on the P650. He said I would have to loose .040" somewhere to achieve 11:1. I guess a new piston is the only way to go with this.

Oh well, maybe Mickey D will have all I need when I call him later on today.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

the stock head gasket is about 0.020" thick
wesico has 80mm & 82mm [2mm over] 11 to 1 pistons

Old 07-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I think if you really want to dive into the engine with mods the Big Bore kits like Mickeys is the only way to go, anything less, somewhere down the road you'll be wishing you would have just gone the big bore way in the first place. Maybe its just me? but with just a few mods like some of the ones you have, the Prairie is already a great performer. You might not be able to beat everybody in a drag race but you can always get them in the woods! I cant wait to see how I match up when the brute comes around?? ~coop

PS: Great WEB SITE also KOD! what is this nroc? web site I keep hearin about? Someone copying You?~lol
Oh,, And are you strong arming the Big Corporations on giving you products and free quads as well??~LOL

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
Team Green Plastic
Progressive Springs
OMF Beadlocks
Maxxis Big Horns
Dyna CDI
EPI Pink Spring
Twin Air Filter
HMF Penland Exhaust
And a Bunch of other Toyz

Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

I talked with Mickey D about 3 hours ago and Im going to go with his stock size 11:1 compression piston for sure. Im just not sure what cams Im going to go with. I tried to talk with Dale at Dalton Industries because Mickey said he had the big cam in. I want to get a feel for how trail friendly it is. After talking with Mickey I have decided against porting and polishing as even Mickey said it wasnt worth it to have it professionally done and flow bench tested. He recommended saving that money and putting it into an HMF pipe. He also recommended using the Evans NPG+ coolant and removing the thermostat for free flowing coolant all the time.

I seen that Wisco piston you mentioned red650 but I dont want to do a BBK. I would like to keep it stock size to save some money. For $710 I can get Mickeys 11:1 piston his cams and valve springs. Only other way I can save money is going with the V-Force cams which Mickey said would work great but not as good as his cams. It just depends on how much money I want to spend.

Marylandatv, thanks for the comments. I have a question, how do you like your Penland series HMF? I have always liked the HMF and was very happy to hear Mickey recommended it. I checked out your pictures. I really like the way the Team Green color looks. I saw one yesterday in Wilkesboro NC on my way home from a VA ride. It looked very nice but the solid $8200 turned me away even for a second atv for the wife.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

You would have to grind valve releif in the wiseco 11:1 pistons to run those fst cams(,If mickey has one that is already done I would buy that one.If you cut .025 off a prairie head,it gets you to about 10.6-10.7 :1 if I remember correctly,so a gasget will not be enough.Dont forget that if you stick with stock pistons and cut the head,it will also retard the cams a bit more.If you cut more than about .020,you will have to re index the cams.

When you put in fst cams,inspect and hone the rockers too.With these big cams ,they can stick if you dont hone them about 1/2 a thou.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Its funny you ask about the exhaust because I think the full exhaust system can be over looked on the Prairie, and HMF might just have something here? With so many just doing a stock muffler mods or adding a slip-on they maybe missing out? I beleave I read on the form here that people where saying It wasnt that important? I'll tell you I was running a slip-on on my Prairie and all it seemed to do was make noise?~LOL Dont get me wrong it did a little something But I really didnt feel a whole lot more and was ready to put the stock pipe back on! It turns out the slip-on I was running was the wrong year and was sent the wrong one, opps~LOL. After talking to HMF they gave me a hard to turn down deal on what was brand new at the time, The Penland Full Series. They also have what they call a Torque Range Modifier (TRM) Its also on there Ballance exhaust as well. Its a tube that slips in the muffler kind of like a quite core and smooths out the the delivery of torque. I ran it with and without the TRM insert and can feel the differance. I run without the TRM insert most of the time becasue it seems the quad really hits so much harder in low and mid range then with it in? I know they run a few $$$$ and compaired to other mods that cost much less, and it might not be the best bang for the buck? But if ones putting together a whole package of bolt on performance mods, Its one to have.....

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
Team Green Plastic
Progressive Springs
OMF Beadlocks
Maxxis Big Horns
Dyna CDI
EPI Pink Spring
Twin Air Filter
HMF Penland Exhaust
And a Bunch of other Toyz

Old 07-22-2004, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the infor Helix. That refreshed my memory when you mentioned grinding the cuts in the Wiseco piston. I will go with Mickeys pistons for sure and more than likely his cams. The Pistons, cams and valve springs will run $710.

Mickey says the HMF is the way to go. He didnt mention full or slip on but I will ask him next time I talk with him. I was hoping to use the modified stocker but he says with the new pistons and cams the HMF will really help. Oh well, whats another $240. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

I will be the 1st to acknowledge that I don't have the mechanical skills & knowledge of guy's like Mike Pendland, or Micky Dunlop... but I am opinionated enough, that if I disagree, I'll say so... ( I have disagreed with Mike Pendland before ), & here I go again... I talked to 3 different flow bench techs, prior to doing my rebuild, & every single one, believed that they could achive around a 20% increase in flow efficiency, by flowing the heads, not "porting & polishing"... I know that alot of the 2 strokers talk about head work, & opening the ports, but flowing a multi headed 4 stroke, IMO, is more benifical than the gains you could see on some 2 strokes ( my heads actually were both opened & filled, not a traditional "port & polish" ), to flow most efficiently... & while the HMF pipe may be worth it, I will admit that I noticed no improvement in installing my full system Pendland series Big Gun, prior to my BBK... it may have contributed to the great power it has now, but on the internally stock engine, I'd say it did nothing but cost me money... I'd be willing to bet, that even with the mods you are intending on doing, that the NYROC modded pipe ( or BEARMAN's version with the Supertrapp disks in the end ), of the stock pipe, will have only marginally less dynoed horsepower, & IMO, the full system pipes probably are one of the highest dollar per added horse power mod you can do...

Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

I was suprised to hear that about the port and polish myself. We talked for around 30 minutes about different things I could do and different options. I dont remember the details on why he said it wasnt cost efective to do. I just remember from what he said I changed my mind on doing it myself since he didnt do it.

As far as the pipes go, Im hesitant about buying ANY pipe for the P650 after my experience with Supertrapp on my old Kodiak. I know Im comparing apples and oranges here but bad experiences is just that no matter where it comes from.

Im for sure going to get Mickey Ds 11:1 stock size pistons and 99% sure I will go with his cams. Doing that will force my to buy his stronger valve springs and that brings the total to $710. He also said he had atleast one gasket maybe he could find another to toss in for free. Thats a lot of money to toss in an 02 P650 when its running fine. I was going to wait until something happend to the engine but I have faced the facts and no matter how hard I run it its not going to tear up. The BF and KQ will be out next Spring in full force and I want to be ready for them with as little money as possible. I also want to be able to say, "Im still stock at 633cc". I dont advocate lying so if someone ask me if its still stock I can tell them honestly its still stock size.

Quick Reply: Thinner head gasket for more compression?