Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF On A Night Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF On A Night Ride

Last night, I went on a night ride with the ATV club that I belong to. It was lead by a nice guy on a heavily modded 400ex. I spent most of the ride in the second slot behind the him. The pace was a little slow for some of us so in some of the sections where the trail was "fun to ride", the leader took off like a bat out of hell. I kept up with him on his 400ex, no problem. With my ATRs and the suspension set to the "middle" setting, the BF feels light and tracked very well through some tight desert single track. So later in the ride, the leader and I got ahead of the group on a fire road and waves at me to pull up beside him. Why? He wanted to see if the Brute could hang with him in a drag. Note, I weigh about 250 with about about 30lbs of gear on the Brute. The leader guy was about 190 with (obviously) no gear on his 400ex. We had a rolling start of about 10 MPH. Let's just put it this way, he was reading the "Kawasaki" on my rear fenders! We kept trading off...I would take off and he couldn't catch me. He'd take off and I'd pass him. Keep in mind that we couldn't go that fast because I was dark, but up to 50MPH, the Brute ruled the day. Later, when we were heading back to our trucks, we had to ride on pavement for about a 1/4 mile. As soon as he hit the road he took off. I hit the road about 10 seconds behind him. The Brute closed the gap but his top speed is higher. I maxed out at 65MPH before we ran out of road.

I have to tell ya, I was grinning ear-to-ear all of the way home. The Brute Force definitely lives up to its name. And the sport guys now have a new respect for me and my utility. (Even asking me to go riding with them outside of club events.) Yeehaw!

Brian

Old 08-15-2004, 01:02 PM
DOA
Range Rover

Exellenta, Fanstastico!!

I'll be having the Brute Force soon too, I can't wait for them guys to try to wipe that grin off my face, you know.

How did you like your lights? Did they get dirty like the Prairie's do? They weren't bad on the Prairie when clean but never stayed that way for long and then were dangerously dim to which you could overdrive them.

I can't wait, my dealer (Canada) got one in Fri. it sold mon., but not camo, he's going to call me when a camo one comes in.

YEE HAA,

Old 08-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

The lighting is excellent. Out here in the desert, we don't have mud...but we have tons of dust. The trail was bright for a good 100ft. when in hi-beam mode.

Brian

Old 08-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yea the lighting is excellent on the BF,I went on a ride after I got my winch put on sat. evening and I was able to see plenty of deer in the distance...LOL

Old 08-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

I put 27 inch 589"s on mine and even with a 3000 pound winch it wheelies in high or low range! I think this machine is awsome aside from some overheating problems

Old 08-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

I've never had any overheating problems. And I've ridden it screaming across the desert in 105F. Wierd.

Brian

Old 08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Well, considering your motor is almost twice the size, you shoulda smoked him.

Now take that BF and 400ex in a twisty, bumpy trail and the outcome is much different.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

We WERE on a twisty, bumpy trail full of whoopty doos, etc. (He was very familiar with the trail...I was not) and he could not lose me. The Brute is not a Sportman that weights a 10,000lbs. With good tires and the suspension set firm, it handles alot better than you think it would. What I lack in handling I make up in shear acceleration. He might get ahead on some turns, but give me a straight away and I can easily make up the distance. Yeah, my motor is almost double in size, but the my Brute is also 250lbs. heavier. The V-Twin rules...

Brian