Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p650 shifter linkage adjustment. The simple way!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p650 shifter linkage adjustment. The simple way!

Read a lot of posts on shifter link adjustment in the past. Also at NYROC's website. The shifter linkage adjustment isn't trial and error till you get it right, it can only be one way. Like a auto trans in a car. There is one spot for R N D L, etc. Same for an auto ATV. I had to redo my linkage cuz it was clicking in low and alls you have to do is losen the 2 jam nuts first. For mine low was the problem. So I put the shift **** in the low posistion. I then totally took out the piece that goes into the other piece that in the tranny. I then pushed that forward till it "Clicked" fully into low, adjusted the shift rod length and retightened everything. The shifter that goes into the tranny has detents that it clicks into for R N H and L. There is no inbeween. Technically you could disconnect the shifter rod altogether and reach down there with your hand and click it into each position. And there are only 4 positions it can be in (R N H L). Its like shifting gears on a dirt bike. It clicks into the detents and those are the only spots it can be in to be in gear fully. If you adjust the length with trial and error and your clicking stops, technically you might not be fully in the detents (and fully gear meshed) even though the clicking stops. Hope I explained this right. The shifter adjustment is easier to do than changing the oil. w00t

At NYROC's site it says "Each Prairie 650 is different, so just take your time and figure out what is best for you." Thats not correct. Each prairie is exactly the same tranny wise and there are only the 4 exact posistions the tranny can be in to be in gear and those are the 4 detents for R N H and L. The pastic indicator where your **** is has nothing to do with being in gear correctly. It does throw the shift rod to where its suppose to be, but that doesnt gurantee you are in the detents and in gear fully. Try what I said about taking out the rod connected to the tranny shifter piece and click throught the 4 positions (detents) by hand and you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

In my expirience, 99% of the time that the shifter needs adjustment, the motor mount bolts are either loose or missing...

Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Yah, if the motor isn't lined up right to the shifter indicator it will throw things off, but alls I was saying in this post is if everything is where it's suppose to be, there is no inbetween or guessing if you have the linkage adjusted right. If its clicked into the detents fully and you adjust the length of the rod accordingly, the gears are fully meshed and you should have no porblems. =)