Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I really need help on Belt Flashing Light P-650

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really need help on Belt Flashing Light P-650

I went through the complete light reset procedure--disconnecting the connectors, reversing two of them, turning key on/off etc. I have done this a few times before and it has always worked before--so I really understand how to do it.

This time it didn't work after several tries. So I removed the belt cover to check the switch, sure enough it was "ON" so that was OK. Then I checked the resistance of the switch, it is "open" (infinite ohms) when it's "ON" and also "open" when it's "OFF". I would expect it to be closed (0-ohms) in one position and open (infinite ohms) in the other position. Since the belt light would not reset and the resistance was infinite (open) I figured that this switch was bad and was causing the problem. So I just shorted the two wires together so it would appear that the switch was ON (closed) and operating normally. I still can't get the belt light to reset and stop flashing.

Now I am really lost for any more ideas--Help please, 'cause I'm leaving in a couple of days for the ATV ralley in Richfield Utah.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

so the light is intermitantly coming on? if so its either your battery terminals being loose or somewhere in the ignition is a fault...aside from that the only thing I can say is the connector from the kebc doesnt get hooked up till after you turn the ignition back off and have the other two "crossed" connectors back to normal..that last step is very important...youve said youve done it before so thats all I can offer..soz

Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I understand that the later model P-650 do not reduce power (sputtering, coughing, etc) when the belt light flashes. Mine is an early model P-650, so it sputters. Is there anyway to modify a wire to the Ignition module to stop this power reduction on the early-model P-650? It's a real pain when you're out in the boonies to have to deal with this problem. Mine is more serious now, because I can't get the %$#*&@#! light to reset, the ATV only has 60 hours and the belt is in great shape and the belt switch is ON (in the back position)and I've gone through Nyroc's reset procedure several times. ARGH!!

Old 09-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

hi there mate , check wiring behind the header tank at the steering colum , u may need to remove front pannel , ive reported tis before but no one seems to beleive me !!! just a thought

Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

DickLakeTahoe, there is a way to stop the limp mode, Its called Dyna CDI it overides that feature along with the reverse limiter. Not to mention the performance gains you will see. (especially if you dont have any other module) ie: holeshot, naber, ect. Then its a night and day difference.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

There is a new module that eliminates the limp mode like the Dyna, but will still turn the belt light on if it has a problem so you still have a warning. It is supposed to work even if you already have the Dyna.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I finally figured out that my Belt switch had failed, and indicated that it was "off". So I corrected that by shorting the two wires from the sensor together. Then my battery was really low, so even though I went through the whole re-set manuver, the belt light still kept flashing. A new battery fixed that problem and now everything works great. So my wife and I are off to Richfield Utah, on Friday, for the ATV rally there with the ATVs working great. Thanks againg for the help. BTW, I contacted Nyroc directly and he helped me with additional suggestions--so a big THANK YOU to Nyroc for his help.