Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

just purchased new 700 prairie

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just purchased new 700 prairie

Hi im Dave just joined this forum recently. I just bought a new 04 prairie 700 and I got a hell of a deal 3000 off sticker and I got him to upgrade the tires add warn winch and he threw in a free cover too! he took a trade on my honda 300 without even looking at it he just said to drop off the honda and pick up the prairie this saved the tax on 3000 . I have been doing research on new quads and the kawi best fits what i needed im a honda man but they are too far behind in r and d in my opinion. Is there anything i should know about what to check after the first little while or any known defects with the 04's?. Im picking the bike up today and thought i would drop a line. I can't wait to break her in and test her good also are wheelies hard to come by without the dg3 chip? Im getting a front winch I only weigh 135lbs so the bike should take off like a rocket I know a guy that has the chip and he thinks its too dangerous but i like Power Speed Torque and figue 140 bucks is not bad for added takeoff but will probably wait for dg5 if the bike don't wheelie too good if 700cc is not enough power for me I don't know what is so I don't think i will be dissapointed thanks for your time im just glad i didn't buy a tank oh i mean polaris!

Old 09-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

I have had a 04 Prairie 700 for just over a year now. It has 1100 miles on it now and I have not had any problems at all. I don't believe in the 10 hour break in. I have ran mine as hard as possible since I first turned the key. I do recommend you do the 10 hour maintenance. I also recommend the Dyna CDI when you get around to it. It seems to me to be the best thing for the money. Had the DG3 but the Dyna gives you better overall performance. If you wanna find any info on the 700, check out Nyroc or Kissofdeath web site. I am glad these guys have all this info on there sites. KOD I just reviewed your site for the 4 degree key install. Just got mine installed and getting ready to take it for a spin. Anyway I think you will love the new Prairie 700 and hope to hear you report back after you ride it awhile.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

The screws and nuts that hold the plastic together especialy the black plastic to the colored plastic could use some lock-tite to keep them from vibrating loose. The factory screws cost about 10 bucks each from Kawi by the time you buy the screw,the nut and the washer. I have lost several of them befor I figured that out, plus if you tighten them to much then the black plastic breaks, Lock-tite seems to work the best and only takes a few minuts to do. I have almost 1400 miles now on my P650 and 500 miles on my STP700 and no problems, I love these quads I have 3 of them and my dad has 1 and a new BF and one of my buddys has another. There are 5 total in our group and they have all been outstanding quads, realy the best we have ever had. Our small group of about 5 guys ave owned over 30 + Quads in the past 10 years of almost every flavor, and these are by far the best we ever had.

Congrats on the New Quad.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum, as far as your wheelie question, it depends on the tires you went with. The bike will have all the power you need for wheelies if the tires get the traction. One tire might wheelie and another might just spin, a mud tire usually isnt as good for wheelies because theres not as many contact points with rubber on the ground. (not to mention added weight) One thing I would do right away would be to get a black secondary spring, it helps the belt life and seems to grip better. Have fun!!

Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

my buddy has the 700 and it will wheelie all day long all stock. i really think it has plenty of power.

i weigh 180 and wish i had the 700 instead of my beloved 650, but am very happy with the 650

Old 09-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

wildriders, I have both and I can't tell much difference at all.I had them both Dyno tested twice and there is not more than 2 hp difference between them. Now the 750 brute will spank them in a drag race but doesn't handle for sh$% in the twisty stough I hope that 750 makes its way into the Prarrie. I have herd that they might drop the prarrie name in favor of the Brute name accross the line. If I were to guess I bet there is a Brute force 750s comming in the near future. Think about it why would they desgnate the curent Brute 750i if there wasn't goining to be a 750s.

Just add the DYNA CDI and yours will run better than the 700

Old 09-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

cc1999, thats a good point with the S and the I. I like the name brute force better anyway, more of a manly type name[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But as far as the brute and the prairie look at my post brute vs prairie confusion, tell me your thoughts (its got me stumped)

Old 09-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

1999-- are your bikes stock

i must have one of the faster 650s cause i easily hit 50 mph in 300 feet on gravel road everytime that was stock

with my mods i get about 50 to 51 this is all speedo speeds. stock i hit 61 top using the full road. mods i hit 63

top with 100 feet of road left

i hear other 650s have a hard time hitting 50 in even 350 feet

the 700 hits 52-53 in 300 feet never tried top speed YET!

i can't ever beat him and he weighs 400 pounds to my 180

this is just what we see with our bikes

Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

700 kawvtwin-- i'd check all the plastic bolts every now and then.

learn how to do the belt and check it sometime soon.

mine chirped at 15 hours and had small grooves in the pully i took all the shims out and ran it for 20 hours with squeeling at idle then shimmed it to specs. grooves gone and now perfect belt

other than that have fun and don't crash

i crashed twice going up hills once i got the dg3 but now know how to handle the power

Old 09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Wildriders I have never tested for sped to distance just been relying on Dyno numbers drag racing and top speed runs to evaluate mine Quads, but as For top speed on pavement the STP is 67MPH and the P650 is 65 Mph. on the Dyno the 650 is 37 at the rear wheels and the Stp700 is 39 however the 650 is hitting 55#s of TQ and The STP is Hitting 54#s.

Hey Rivermud I replyied to your post a few minuts ago you should get a notice. I realy hope they include either the Twin peaks or the Prarrie in this years Bigbore shootouts, and not just the brute I will bet the P700/STP700 won't finish last. I have spent some time on the BF and would not give up any of my quads for one.

Quick Reply: just purchased new 700 prairie