Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Winter Project # 2 Oil Cooler for the V Twin

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Project # 2 Oil Cooler for the V Twin

as my shop is finally starting to come together... & it's looking like I won't be wrenching in the snow drifts this year, I'm looking at 3-4 major winter ATV projects... one of which includes an oil cooler set up, for the Prairies... I did alot of internet research 6-8 months ago, & the Mazda Miata & similar oil filters & some of the oil filter accessories will fit on the Prairie motor... the oil pump system seems sound enough to allow incorporating this onto the quad... I just need to figure out which system I want to install... several are thermostaticlly controlled oil coolers, & include back flow preventers, to eliminate the crank case from over filling, when the engine is shut off... this type of system, will likely allow about an extra 1/2 quart of oil ( that should be a good thing ), & significantly reduce the burden on the cooling system...

anyone see any negitives that I havent thought about ???

Old 09-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like a great idea. be sure to let us know what method you use. I'd love to put one on my V-force.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

newbeetle, that's the best idea I've heard for a mod so far !I've felt from day 1 that 2 litres of oil wasn't enough for that size engine.Especially running on pressurized bearings.

I'm currently in the market for a new crank for my 650 due to some starvation problems.
I 've also kinda thought it would be good to include a small oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things.

I look forward to following your progress, keep posted.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Some times my praire stalls and the oil light flashes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] My old 650 and new 700 did that. The oild new and so is the filter. Im think ing its something with my jetting.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

That's a great idea about the oil cooler. How would you go about installing the lines? I guess thats the hardest part isnt it? That would be a great and very useful mod for the P650. I sure hope you get that one figured out.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

I'll need to revisit my "info box" ( printed copies of my internet research ), but most of these systems ( the most interesting compact systems ), use a "spacer" between the block & the oil filter, with 2 hose hook ups... the thermostat & check valve are all included in the spacer... the cooler can easily mount where needed, & the hoses routed along the frame rails... most of these systems were $200.00 - $250.00, & came complete ( but were meant for automotive use / installation ) ... I just need to decide if I want the components seperately, since I'll likely have custom ( specific sized ) hoses made up ( likely stainless braided )...

( the D.K. catalog ) shows an oil temp gauge that replaces the stock drain plug... I like the idea of a temp gauge, but feel that I don't want to replace my drain plug with a sensor... however if I remember right, there are several options available with the cooler systems ( oil filter relocation, etc )... but think the spacer could either be purchased, or modified to include an extra port or two, for either & or oil pressure or temp gauges... at this point, I want to keep the system as simple, light, & fool proof as possible...

I've felt since day one with my 650, that it should have come with an oil cooler, & it is my intention to start this project, as soon as the snow flys...our 300 Prairie has an oil cooler stock, & it has been trouble free for several years of abuse, including "T-Boning" a tree at 30 mph, I'll be starting this project along with 3-4 other projects ( some of which will be my little secret [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )