Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Friggin 4x4 Actulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friggin 4x4 Actulator

OK guys, enough whining about the actuator---although mine seems to be working OK, never know when its going to go into 4 wheel, I am preparing myself for the worst--are these just isolated incidences?? I had a vacuum operated front end on my last jeep wrangler, and it sucked--welded two beads on both sides of the slide gear and locked the front end in permanently with a lock right installed and learned to live with it cause i hated the vacuum actuator

If my actuator ever goes on my Kaw, I really dont think I am going to spend $200 plus for a new one!!!

Cant someone devise a way we can eliminate this with a pull cable (choke cable???) or some sort of a T handle to pull, twist and Lock???

I am not sure how the actuator in refernce works, or even where its at, but someone give me a little detail on it and betcha I can come up with something.

sign me;

I hate electronic actuators (and mine aint even broke yet)

Old 09-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

My Prairie suffered the same failure as all of yours. My mechanic replaced the actuator with no effect. Then, instead of replacing the actuator controller, he replaced the ignitor. The problem was solved. Glad I bought that extended warranty. These electrical parts are ridiculously expensive.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well moose for your sake I hope you dont have any problems with it.. When mine 1st went I though it was just bad luck, isolated incodent, 2nd one went & I thought was a P.O.S, now I"m on my third & having additional problems. You tell me, after 3 of them & still having problems, how would you define them? I know I have gone through many vehicles & have NEVER EVER EVER had these type of problems with any part of a vehicle that have been this consistent. And then one would ask, well maybe he got a lemon, then I would refer you to all the comments on this board with simular problems. Fact is this is a huge problem with these ATV's & Kawi needs to step up to the plate & take care of it, will that happen?? I wouldn't bet a squirt of **** that they'll do anything unless there pressured legally.. As far as you thinking you can get one cheeper then $200, well if you figure that out certainly let me know. If my problem ends up being the controller like I think it is, that's a meer $270 from Ron Ayers, for a little box, oh yea sure Kawi I dont mind dropping $200 - $300 every six months on the same damn problem, that's certainly reasonable, not a prob!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hey WileyCoyote do you know the part number of the ignitor? Or where it is on the Prairie?
~coop

Old 09-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know the part number, but the ignitor is the last box, farthest from the battery. I just skimmed over the troubleshooting section of the service manual. It doesn't mention the ignitor specifically, but it mentions a lack of power to the controller as a possible cause of actuator malfunction. I wonder if the ignitor can inhibit the power going to the controller? (I don't even know what the ignitor does)

Old 09-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It igniter (aka CDI) should be completely unrelated to the KEBC and 4wd engagement as far as I know. I have the Dyna CDI installed on my P650 and when I started having problems with my 2wd/4wd, I swapped out the Dyna for the OEM cdi and it made no difference. I can't explain why it helped your problem Wiley...thats a mystery to me.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I got the impression the two were unrelated, and I asked the mechanic how the failure of one could affect the other. He shrugged his shoulders, saying something about how they were interconnected somehow. I was just happy the machine worked again and off I went. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]