Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Module gone bad? How to test ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Module gone bad? How to test ???

I have been running a module on my 650 for over a year now and after getting the jetting dialed in it always worked very well.
I had a cut wire that goes to the rollover sensor on my last ride that caused me to have to get towed out of the woods because of the false signal being given to the computer not allowing any spark. Since finding and repairing the broken wire my bikes runs again but seems to be missing the power from the module on the low end and it also misses at times in the mid range rpms.

Is there a way of testing the module to see if its still working. I am thinking that the cut wire may have shorted it or something else out.
I have had an opportinity to swap most of the electrical parts,except coils and module, that plug in under the seat with known good parts but still have the same loss in power.

Any ideas

Old 09-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Try hooking up the speed sensor again. If the module is bad, the miss at mid-range will go away.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I take it that I dont have to remove the module but can just splice the speed sensor wire back in. Not quite sure this will tell me what I want to know though as I would expect it to run bad without the module anyhow.
Since the modules are just frequency generators, could I hook a led up to it to see if it flashes or something like that? Perhaps measure resistance with a multimeter ?

Old 09-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yuo would have to unhook the module to try the speed sensor again. If you lived closer to me I'd give you a Freedom module to try.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am going too ask a friend to borrow his module to try. Is the brooks module you have better than the freedom if so where do you get it?

Old 09-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

So nobody has any info on how to verify if it works....

Old 09-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

PrairieDust

Hook up a volt meter from the positive side of the battery with the red wire from the meter and black wire from the meter to the wire coming out of the module to the pink wire on the cdi. There should be a small amount of voltage there roughly 3 volts depending on the frequency of the module. Hence no voltage no worky!!

Old 09-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PrairieDust - I am going too ask a friend to borrow his module to try. Is the brooks module you have better than the freedom if so where do you get it?
I had a high end power loss with the Freedom module, not so with the Brooks. pm reds650 for info on the Brooks module.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Novakaw650, I was talking with Dale yesterday. He said I could check it by unhooking the pink wire from the module and splicing it back to the one left hanging after install. Then after unplugging speed sensor i should get a reading on the speedo of anywhere between 40 and 80 kph. I did just that but got no reading. I also measured the voltage output and still nothing so looks like a new module is in order.

I would like to get a brooks module but dale said his brother wasn't making them anymore. I will probably order a DG3.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

PrairieDust,

Try these guys the modules are developed right here in Calgary they are developing a cdi as well should be working next year give them a try.

http://www.velocitydevices.com/

Quick Reply: Module gone bad? How to test ???