Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Sled Pull Rules, Advice Request

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sled Pull Rules, Advice Request

Message from our club president:

"We are sponsoring a Sled Pull at Sun Honda on Oct. 2nd. I will need
the
help of about eight members to help out. They are having a end of the
season
sale, we will run the pull and have a booth there to help promote the
club.
We will need people to register contestants and run the event. I have
never
done a sled pull so some help with rules & what to do would help.
It should be a fun time, there will be other things going on too.
Let me
know if you want to help. We think it will start about 10:00am and go
till
we are done."

Looks like we need some help here. Anything on rules, or where on the net to find them, as well as what are the main things to watch for including safety. I have never even seen a sled pull, so any info would help.

Old 09-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Eternal Rider
Building A Runway To Hell & Back!
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul. ~Walter Raleigh

Kawiyowee, if you e-mail Allan at Battleford Supercycle,tell him you were talking to Gerald, I'm sure he will fax or e-mail you a copy of the rules that we have drawn up. I will be pulling this weekend and will grab a copy and send it to you if you like. Here is the address http://www.nbsupercycle.com/RallyInf...burgsept25.htm

Old 09-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

If you PM me with a FAX #, I'll fax the rules we use and classes.

Pic of drag on my site.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

These are our club rules. We weigh in and add sandbags for weight to the lighter machines. We currently don't allow using tractor type weights and weight racks on the front of the machines. We are trying to keep our pulls all-inclusive so the guy that wants to pull once a year at the community fair has a chance at being able to compete w/o spending a bunch of money.
We have 5 classes - 2wd only (no 4x4 running in 2wd allowed), 4wd 0-399cc, 4wd 400-499cc, 4wd 500-600cc, and 4wd 601cc and up. No stock, improved or modified classes; they're all lumped together due to not enough prize money to split them up smaller.

Central Nova ATV Club Pull Rules

1. The Central Nova ATV Club assume no responsibility for the loss, theft and/or injury to any participant, spectator or property that may be caused by the pull or related activities. All drivers must sign a waiver before competing.
2. Intoxication will result in disqualification.
3. No operators under 13 years of age.
4. Helmets must be worn.
5. No loaded tires or hidden added weight. If found, the driver and machine will be disqualified.
6. No tying down or blocking of the suspension.
7. No hitch height higher than 12 inches from the ground with the driver dismounted and no custom hitches mounted ahead of the rear end. (Must be the stock hitch or at the stock hitch location. The stock hitch on IRS machines is permitted, even if the height is above 12 inches)
8. All ATV’s must enter the grounds at an idle and proceed directly to the designated waiting area as directed by the pull officials. All movement of machines is to be done in a reasonable, safe and non-disruptive fashion. Breaking this rule can result in event disqualification. Machines are not permitted on the fair grounds before being directed to do so by a pull official.
9. Each participant has two pulls per class, except in the case of a tie or pull-off.
10. The driver drawn to pull first in each class has the choice to accept his first pull distance or to re-pull. The decision must be made before the 2nd competitor begins his/her pull. The re-pull will take place last in the class. The re-pull rule only applies to the first round.
11. Only one driver, per machine, per class.
12. The driver must remain seated during the pull.
13. All weight adding devices must be within 6 inches of the back and 12 inches of the front of the stock machine. (Winches, bumpers, weight racks (without weights), etc.)
14. No track systems or dual wheel/tire set-ups are permitted. Only ATV tires are permitted, no mini-tractor pulling tires, etc.
15. No nitrous oxide systems, turbos, or superchargers are permitted.
16. Only stock type engines may be used, no motorcycle engines mounted in ATV frames, etc.
17. Maximum gross weight is as follows: 2wd – 1100lbs. 4wd: 0 to 399cc’s – 1150lbs. 4wd: 400 to 499cc’s – 1150lbs. 4wd: 500 to 600cc’s – 1200lbs. 4wd: 601 cc’s and up – 1200lbs.
18. The maximum weight shall include the driver and machine.
19. Machines and riders will be weighed in using the Fairground scales.
20. Your class is determined by the manufactures’ model classification. Example: A Polaris Sportsman 500 goes in the 500 to 600cc class, even though the engine measures 499cc.
21. Weight may be, at the driver’s discretion, added to each machine to bring the total weight of their machine up to the heaviest machine/rider combo in the class. The pull officials will supply sandbags for the additional weight. Any sandbags added will be distributed evenly between the front and rear racks. Weight will be added if the gross weight is more than 25lbs.below the weight of the heaviest rider/machine in the class.
22. NO weight may be added to custom weight racks. (See rules # 12, 18 & 19 above)
23. A machine/driver in a lower cc class may pay an additional entry fee to enter a higher class, but not vice-versa.
24. A 30-foot minimum pull line will be in effect. If a competitor stops his pull before the 30-foot line, he has the opportunity to re-pull. The re-pull takes place immediately, and you only get one chance. The minimum pull line rule only applies to the first round. You must stop the pull yourself, not be stopped by the sled in order to take advantage of this option.
25. If the ATV or sled pan touches the “out-of-bounds” lines, you get “no distance” for that pass.
26. The decisions of the ATV pull judge and committees are final.

Central Nova ATV Club

Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

kawiyowee - I also have registration forms, weigh-in sheets, etc., in a Word file if those could help you out. Let me know.
hellyeh - I'd like to see a copy of your rules if you are sending them out.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

SHOTGUN, NovaKaw650: PM in your boxes

hellyeh: I emailed Allan, so we'll see what goes there. Felt a little funny asking him for a favor when I didn't know him, but did it anyway. Will send you a PM with my name and address and email and also a fax number of the club president. He's in Denver and I'm in Colorado Springs, so his fax would be handier (plus I don't have one). Pls grab a copy at this weekend's pull just in case Allan's gone or something.

Thanks a whole lot to you fellas.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

kawiyowee, you have a ton of stuff heading your way via email.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

kawiyowee, let us know how everything goes. I hope the info I sent will make your life a little easier on Oct. 2.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw650: Your info has already helped us a bunch in getting set up and headed in the right direction. It's a very strange and unfamiliar feeling.

Will post results early October. Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

We had our sled pull Oct 2nd and it went well. The Denver quad dealer sponsoring the event was well satisfied, and we thought it went ok for running our first pull. We think it will become an annual event for the Colorado Quad Runners Club.

It had rained for the previous couple of days, very slick mud, so the sponsor put down some base course in the pull area the day before, and the sun dried out the run pretty well by noon on pull day. We didn't have a scale, so we practiced with the transmission and the weights for each of the classes until the stronger ones could do a full pull (100') and the placements were awarded by stop watch for a full pull. We measured and timed every pull, with everyone getting two hitches.

The course was uphill, so we ran the 500 cc and above uphill, then 499cc and below downhill. Worked out pretty well.

For 500 cc and above, the placings went to P700 1st, Polaris Sportsman 700 2nd, and P700 3rd. (A Bombardier had the best time on the first hitch, but his time was beaten by 4 other quads in the 2nd hitch.)

For 4wd below 500 cc, it was Polaris 1st, then Scramblers 2nd and 3rd.

For 2wd any displacement, it was VForce 1st and 2nd, can't remember who got 3rd.

The pull event wasn't weighed and sandbagged, but we had a good competition anyway (about 25 riders, some of who went home and got their quads when they saw what was going on from the busy street). Next year we hope to have a scale and sandbags available. Using the base course that had been put down the previous day, a rake was all we needed to keep the course smoothed out since the sled had a full width plate in the front.

NovaKaw650, thank you for all the info you provided. We actually had a pretty smooth event due to your input. We had a pretty decent crowd of spectators, and used 10 people from the club to manage the event.

Quick Reply: Sled Pull Rules, Advice Request