Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 Ball joint and front diff seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 Ball joint and front diff seal replacement

About 2 hours ago I started the job of replaceing my left ball joint and the left side seal where the axle goes into the differential. Its not that bad with the right tools just time consuming. The front diff oil seal was a bugger getting out. I almost had to cuss it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Look for pictures later on tonight around 8:45 if interested.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure that you seat your axle fully into the differential- it should not pull out easily. Have Fun.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Pictures are up if interested in seeing the insides of the front diff.

Gotcha mudmagnet. Im having a blast.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

KOD, I just checked out your site. Very cool!! Good pics. I like the little commentary with each pic. I gotta do my front driveshaft seal and rear axle seals. I was gonna order the parts this week, but it's just been too nuts at work. I got all the part numbers off the Kawie website and will leave a note in my lunchbox so I don't forget!!

Old 10-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the comment mastrblastr. Seems like the seals are the only weak spot on the P650. I have to replace my front drive shaft seals at both ends and the left side rear axle seal.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

KOD, the rear end takes the same seal on both sides, so you might as well order two and change out the right side seal while you got it apart. I ordered the seals for the rear axle today as well as the front driveshaft seals (where it goes in the front diff) and a bunch of nuts and bolts as I have lost a few that hold the black fender skirts to the main body plastic. I agree on the seal comment you made. They shouldn't wear out as quick as they do.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

KOD, how did you test to see if the joint was bad? just jack it up and look for play?

Old 10-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

mastrblastr i know your in BC. dont you think those bolts for the fender/mud flaps are a little pricey? i went to the kawie dealer planning to get about 10 of them, then she told me they were $2.50 each. WOW. she had some knock offs that were only $1.50ea, then i said WOW again. took all 5 she had.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Deerchooper, I didn't even ask for a price on them. If they are too much, I'll tell them to keep em. No way I'm paying $2 or so for a bolt that I can get at one of the bolt supplier places I know of for about 20 cents.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

mastrblastr, do you have the driveshaft/ front diff seal part numbers handy? Also, is yours showing signs of leaking coming out of the motor at the front drive shaft?

nightrider888, if its severe like mine was you can lock the rear brake and put one hand on the tire and watch the ball joint pivot. You can also jack the tire off the floor and move the tire in every direction. I really think the best way to check is just leave it on the floor and lock the rear brake and take both hands on the tire and rock it forward and backward looking for signs of movement or play. This is how nyroc discovered his a-arm bushings were bad.

LOL it was all by accident, I think he was checking to see how well his atv was tied down in his trailer when he tried to roll it by the tires.

Quick Reply: P650 Ball joint and front diff seal replacement