Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Off Topic. Need Help Catching a Trespasser.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic. Need Help Catching a Trespasser.

I have a Gate to 1400 acres I hunt and this lock & cable torcher, going in on me either when I am working or night hunting.
I have a hinged iron pipe gate. I want to pattern this guy. I need a small, battery powered, easy to hide timing devise that will stop when the gate is moved. Or perhaps a device that will record a time stamp.
I want the hinge end to trigger the device when the gate is swung open.

Any Ideas?

Old 10-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

better yet,get a motion activated camera..the kind used to pattern deer at night..set it up at an angle that will catch both his license plate and a vehicle..there small, quite and take very good hi res pics...they even post the time on the photo with date..hide it in some brush or up a tree..theyll never see it and photos are iron clad evidence in court..

Old 10-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

oh,and the flash is in infrared so they wont see it..even after dark..unless there wearing night vision goggles..which I highly doubt..

Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Quad Patrol

I would follow Metal's advice. In the mean time, you can use a clock that is run by batteries, Mount it to one side of the gate, then, tie/tape fishing line to one of the batteries(don't put the battery cover on) take the other end of the string, and tie it to the other side of the gate. That way, when it opens, the battery will pull out and the time will "freeze" Used it in the field while hunting and it worked nicely when game trip over the line. But a camera would work better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good Luck.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

better yet hook a wire to a shot gun trigger. lol just kiddin

Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Mudcon
better yet hook a wire to a shot gun trigger. lol just kiddin

Had a call few years back, guy was getting trespassers at night on his property. He was more like a nut case. But, anyways, he set up a few boobie traps that we didn't know about[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]almost got my partner while we were investigating it one night. We weren't to happy, to say the least[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

rescue...that would have really sucked...and I think that the camera idea would be a good idea also...

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: MnFriesen
rescue...that would have really sucked...and I think that the camera idea would be a good idea also...
Talk about going off on someone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The guy must of been a vietnam vet, he had some nasty stuff, dug holes with barb wire in it, sharpened sticks at 45 degree angle ect. ect.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Guys,

Metallikev, Do you have a brand name, Webb site?? I have used trail cameras before until the Bear zeroed in on it but it was long ago. I did not know about the infa red flash.

As for traps or spiking tires, and I know it makes one feel like doing it, and I know you were joking. The way it works around here, if you do that to a poacher he will trash the poaching and make it his favorite past time to do the same and worse to you, and for as long as he lives in the area.

I have a referral suggestion from a former FBI agent friend of mine and will post what I come up with from that.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:32 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

I use trail camera's they are expensive but really entertaining.
wallyworld has one for 60.00 BUT it has a flash and itsn't totally reliable, that is mine work great, but you gotta know the little tricks.
Spend about 150 and you get a 35mm film with infrared camera flash.
If you pattern the guy you will find there is NO pattern, habitual vandalistic trespassers just come and go as they please, think they are immune. A photo of the guy will STOP HIM DOA.
Get the film developed, give some copies to the cops, and post one on the gate!!!!! worked for me, i never knew who it was, didnt need to

good luck, dont do anything stupid like catch the guy and beat him up or confront him other than say please leave
the trail atty's like Edwards will take all your money for inconvienceing the guy

a few cabelas trail cameras

Quick Reply: Off Topic. Need Help Catching a Trespasser.