Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Grizz or prarie700?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz or prarie700?

I ride rough trails,water/mud,plain trails plz help

Old 10-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

B200,
I have owned three Grizzlys and two Prairies, and I really think you would be very happy with either one. If there is a big difference in customer service at the dealer from one brand vs the other, I would suggest buying from the best dealer. In my case the Yamaha dealer and Kawasaki dealer are the same place, and it is the best dealer in town to work with anyway. I just traded an '04 Camo Grizzly for an '05 Team Green Prairie, because I wanted something a little faster and sportier.

The Prairie 700 will beat a Grizzly 660 by a good 50 ft in a 300 ft drag race, and that is with the Grizzly having 25" tires and a 140 lb rider, and the Prairie having 26" tires and a 250 lb rider. In other words, they aren't even close when it comes to drag race speed, the Prairie 700 absolutely blows away the Grizzly 660. For tight twisty trails with lots of short straightaways and back and forth turns, the handling of the Prairie is so much better than the handling of the Grizzly that the Grizzly rider doesn't stand a chance, and the Prairie will run away and hide from the Grizzly in no time at all. And for sidehill riding the Prairie is a lot more comfortable feeling than the Grizzly.

The Grizzly rides a lot smoother than the Prairie. It rides so much smoother, in fact, that on rough rocky ground the Grizzly becomes faster than the Prairie. The Grizzly rider can keep the throttle pinned pretty much no matter how rough it gets, whereas the Prairie rider has to back off and concentrate on just hanging on in the really rough stuff. For super tough technical 4x4 riding the Grizzly is more capable than the Prairie, both because of a more seamless belt engagement that makes it easier to control the power on technical terrain, and because of greater ground clearance, and greater suspension articulation. The front locker on the Prairie may be easier to control, but the transmission engagement on the Grizzly is enough better that it makes up for it.

The end result is that some parts of the trail will see the Grizzly out performing the Prairie, and other parts of the trail will see the Prairie outperforming the Grizzly, but by the end of the days ride they come out pretty much even overall. If you had someplace you had to go that was extremely hard core, and it was really debatable whether you would make it or not, I would want to be on the Grizzly. If on the other hand you wanted to have as much fun as possible getting to your destination, I would want to be on the Prairie.

Right now my wife rides a Grizzly, and I ride a Prairie. It makes for a lot of fun because I get to ride both ATVs.

OuterLimit.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Outerlimit pretty much covered it not much more i can add, but I rode both , the Grizz seemed tippy to me and I loved the V-twin sound I bought the Prairie

Old 10-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you should check out the Brute Force. IRS like the Grizz and the powerful Prairie engine. Best of both worlds

Old 10-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

I rode the Brute Force and I found it tippy also. But the power is better than the Grizz for sure. Not to say the Grizz is underpowerd or anything, but the 750 is peppy to say the least!

Aftermarket tires and wheels (which almost all of us buy) will cure the tippiness I am sure.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

they are both great machine so far I have eard of grizz engine to grip at least a dozen of time that stop me from buying it .as with my prarie I have to take care of the belt and clutchs more often than other quad still would buy the same quad whitout hesitating.