Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Minding the break-in???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minding the break-in???

As I said before. Without all the sicence mumbojumbo. Open up that throttel.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Y'all are making this all too tempting. If what is described in that theory is a "break-in" than there really is no break-in at all. That fella describes the way me and most all of you probably run our stuff during normal use anyway. So according to this guy there really is no break in. Hard to believe that running it like you stole it right out of the gate will increase longevity and power output.

I was toying with it in the back yard this afternoon. I still haven't backed off the throttle stop yet...still set at 1/2 throttle. I was amazed to find that I could get the thing to wheelie in high range with 1/2 throttle! This thing has got to be a monster when you go full out with it...can't wait to get to the woods tomorrow! I still don't think I'll open it up all the way until I get the 10 hours on it and change the oil and filter. I will be taking all the stuff I need to do the oil/filter changes in motor, front, rear diff so I'll be ready to get on it when I make 10 hours.

God bless,

-BunnMan

Old 11-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

It's a Kawasaki so I am sure how ever you break it in things will be fine. Best of luck to you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

I have said it before on this forum but break in periods are for the manufactures liability only,not for best break in. they really don't care about how good your engine breaks in. race cars break their engines in at full throttle and then let off doing this for about an hour .this seat the ring which is the most important. the rest of your engine is basically broke in when you get it with the machining done to such a fine polish.I drive everything i have bought hard for about an hour and then change oil and it is good to go.never had a problem in 20 years. the motor tune article others have mention hit it right on the nose. I am a journeyman mechanic by the way an i tell everyone to drive it like you stole it,it really is the best way to break it in even if it seems a little scary to do.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

I hear ya about the race engine break in. That aint exactly apples and apples though. In racing you are not afforded the option of "babying" it for a while to break it in good (or bad according to many who have posted here). Also, longevity aint exactly the primary aim for race car types, as long as you can get off the turn hard and make it to the middle of the straightaway ahead of the pack you're sittin' pretty, never mind next week. The theory does have it's merit though.

I did a little half and half kinda thing in the forest today. My daughter and I showed up there early this morning. She took the lead on her LT80 and was blazing the trail at an average speed of about 8mph. Man, an 18 mile loop takes a long time that way. I was stopping and letting her run ahead a couple hundred yards then I would bang my thumb against the stop and catch up to her, let off hard so I got some forced decel to suck the oil back up top and cruise with her for a minute or so before repeating. I did leave the throttle stop screwed in to 1/2 throttle though. I went between high and low, 2W and 4W though most of the time I spent in low 2W which was good to about 35mph. 2W high gave me about 45mph at the fastest. I'm certain it would have run a bit faster had I given it the room. This thing is a monster even at half throttle, it wheelied without my coaxing at all a few times on hard take offs!

Anyway, through all that I am at about 9.5 hours of run time and will change my oil and back out the throttle stop tomorrow between hunts. I can't wait to nail this thing for all it's worth! In front of half my hunting/riding buddies no less! They're already getting the laugh on me though. A few years back I swore I would never buy a quad. "Those things are gutless" Hehehehe, who knew?

Thanks again for all the great input folks!

God bless,
-BunnMan

Old 11-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Range Rover

I'm with you Hitman! I have stated this breakin in previous threads. I have built car, truck, atv, boat & motorcycle engines and used that break in. I have never had a problem and they always run better than the Break In By The Manual. Run It Like Your Gonna Run It!