Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Now they are saying my carb is messed up??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now they are saying my carb is messed up??

As some of you might know, I have been trying to get to the bottom of my stalling problem. It runs fine, with full power for sometimes 30 or 40 minutes, then starts sputtering, backfiring and eventually dies. When I go to restart, it takes a while and acts like the battery is allmost dead, but does eventually start up, and then can run sometimes another 30 minutes with full power like nothing is wrong. Doesnt sound like a carb problem to me, unless a vent line is messed up like they claimed to have fixed last time. A 140 hour 2002 carb that allready needs rebuilt? I dont think so. Smells like they want my money, as a carb would be conveniently out of warranty. This will be the third strike out for the dealer on this same problem. Why cant they just fix my machine!!! :-(

Old 11-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

Sounds electrical, like a coil breaking down. IMO

Old 11-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with the coil idea...seen similar. Cheaper too.

God bless,

-BunnMan

Old 11-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

With only 140 hours on it, it doesnt need rebuilding , maybe a cleaning, but it shouldnt need any parts.
Have they checked the vent line at the bottom of the float bowl? Its also the drain / overflo tube. If that is plugged with dirt...the carb float bowl wont fill properly. Try running it with out that tube hooked up.
Does this quad have a vacumn operated gas tank valve? ( does it have a 'pri' position?) If it does, use the pri position, once the motor has started, and see if the problem goes away. You could splice in a short piece of clear gas line, or a clear in line filter...this will let you visually check for gas flowing to the carb..when it starts to act up.
Your symptoms sound, to me, like its runnning out of gas...not electrical.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

400Prairie,
Have you asked them to try another set of carbs to see if that is the problem? If they change out the carbs from another quad and if it rectifies the situation then you will at least know definitely what the problem is. Try one thing and if that doesn't work then something else. You have been on here before and talked about this problem with no resolution I give you credit for hanging in there this long. Sometimes you have to hold the dealers hand. It sounds more like you have an electrical problem but if they think it is the carbs then it shouldn't be a problem for them to borrow from another machine try it on yours to see if that is a definite fix. I would think by now you want this thing to be resolved. You have a choice to do it yourself or if you are paying for it off warranty try another bike shop instead of the dealer. It might save you turning grey or pulling what is left of full head of curly locks.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the replies. Guess I just want it back since its hunting season and I havent used it one day of it. They claimed to have fixed the float bowl vent line last time they worked on it. Its still under warranty, so im just trying to get it fixed without shelling out all my cash. They told me last time I called that they fired all their mechanics for stealing or something, so thats why it sat for 3 weeks with nobody looking at it. I did talk to a salesman and worked up a deal on a BF650 though, so if they cant fix this thing to my liking.....

Old 11-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

400Prarie,

My brother, what are you saying here? This dealership has screwed you six ways from sunday on making your NEW quad run right, they have had a conspiracy of folks stealing (firing the whole shop) and you're gonna go and buy another new quad from these people???? Before you do that my friend you owe it to yourself to call Kawasaki about the problems you are having with this dealership and get them in on it. Whatever you do don't give these folks any more of your hard earned American dollars man.

Just my .02

God bless,

-BunnMan

Old 11-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean. The service department and the sales department are quite seperate at this place. The dealer is the same one who sold me the Prairie and he has gone to bat for me at the service counter over this. I did decide not to get a new quad though, ive done too much stuff to mine to give it up, but they dont have to know that. Maybe the prospect of my money in the front of the store can motivate fixing my "trade in" at the back of the store?

Old 11-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Hehehe, sounds like you've got the plan my friend...carry on with my blessing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

God bless,

-BunnMan