Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Paddle's on Prairie

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle's on Prairie

I should have been more specific on my question about the chatter. I ment the chatter typicaly caused by running paddle tires on a belt drive quad. you had said you had paddle tires, and the lasst time i ran paddles they were 22" extreams and caused the drive train to bang and clank like it was ready to fly apart. Outtterlimit said he had the same problem but swithching to 24" was an improvement. I thought the 25" like you have would be an even greater improvement but was wondering if you had noticed much of that banging when you run your paddles?

Old 12-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

regarding drive train chatter i've never experienced any problems. the noise i notice comes when i'm riding on hard pack terrain. thats from the tires though. regarding the gear chatter adjustment that nyroc had on his web site it "works " corrected all the noise.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

paddle tires are in. I got the extreams and a set of the edges, cant wait to try them out.

I bought both sets in 25x12x9's with ITP rims. I put them onthe scale and they weigh only 16.5lbs each.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Told you they were light weight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. That means you will have 30 to 40 lbs less unpsrung weight, from just the rear tires/wheels alone, when compared to a typical set of trail riding tires mounted on C-Series wheels. Betcha you're going to like the performance increase.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Did you finish your 800?

I will post the weights of the stock tires and wheels and a few aftermarket sets I have

I think these light weight sand tires should be worth a couple of quad lengths for sure.
thats all I need to beat some of the faster maodded quads in the drags. I had the 800 out to the dunes last weekend and impressed alot people with it. There were not any stock sport quads that could tuch it, and several modded sport quads were getting beat also.
Those honda 400 ex's were getting killed by it and the new 450's were getting beat also. Raptors didn't stand a chance. Its the yamhaha yzf450's that give me trouble if there modded and dialed in. I think these new paddle tires just might do the trick. without saying modded banashee's that are dailed in well are still out of reach. And I think I am goining to need NOS to beat them.
I did swap back to the C-series wheels with the Dirt hook oe bridgstones that made a big difference over the Maxis wheels & bighorns I had on the 800 last time.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Here some tire and wheel weight info

Stock front tire and wheel (Factory wheel and OE dunlop).............19 lbs
Stock rear tire and wheel (Factory wheel and OE dunlop)..............24 lbs
Maxis Maxlite rim 8spoke with Bighorn Radial 25" rear...................38 lbs
Maxis Maxlite rim 8spoke with Bighorn Radial 25" front..................32 lbs
Vision rear wheel and carlile badlands radial tire 25".....................34 lbs

Extream paddle's rear 25x12x9's on 9" ITP alluminum rims............16.5 lbs

I will get the weights to my other sets as soon as I get a chance these were sets that were just laying around the shop
my other sets are all on quads. The bighorns I think are the heaviest tires I have and the bias plys on the vision rims should be the heaviest set I have. The maxis rims with Bighorn radials should be the next heaviest, the ITP-c's with the bridgestones should be the lightest next to the stockers. As soon I get a chance I will post the rest. I will probably just start a new thred. listing all the weigts. I am planning to use the same scale to keep the results fair.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I decided to get the heads ported and polished, so that is taking a bit more time. I hope to have the 800 up and running by next weekend though.

If you want to shed even more weight from your STP you could swap to Douglas 12x6 .190 front wheels with Maxxis Front Pro front tires. Those same tires and wheels weigh 11.5 lbs less per tire/wheel than Holeshot/C-Series tires/wheels do.

And I'll bet those paddles didn't chatter enough to worry about either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking of taking a couple of the new oem stock dunlops off the shelf and have them mounted on the very douglas rims you were talking about. i have way more tires than I possably need, just thought I would make use of the dunlops for now. On the heavy steel rims they weigh 19lbs I figured the douglas rims would get me down into the 15lb range if not better.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Update. I have had a chance to try my Paddle's on the 800 and I think i should have maybe gone with the 26" tires and an extra paddle or two. the 800 seems to be able to blow them off with a little to much torque and not enough paddle. I am planning to try them on my regular 700 next time and see if that is any better. Don't get wrong they do help but not like I thought. I kinda thought I would have trubble keeping the front end down but thats not a problem. I do think the ultra light weight of the paddles is helping in the drag performance area, The FST 800 beats allot of quads out there and gets allot of strage looks after it blows away allot of sport quads.

Outerlimit, How ya been doing with your FST 800. I have not herd from you in a while.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

cc1999,
The Prairie 800 had been running awesome, and I mean absolutely awesome! I could easily beat my son's piped YFZ 450 in 300' drag races, which isn't too bad for a Prairie, ... , until, ... the front cam chain broke. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] The good news is that it doesn't look like any other damage was done from the broken cam chain, and it should be back up and running by tomorrow.

OL

Quick Reply: Paddle's on Prairie