Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Best Utility Rims? ITP Cast, OMF Reinforced, stock???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Utility Rims? ITP Cast, OMF Reinforced, stock???

I'm new to the Utility ATVing world. I wanted to get some tires and rims for my new Prairie as this is usually the single best improvement you can make on any stock machine.

Here's my issue... Where I ride in PA, the conditions are brutal. Most sport quad rims will be bent in no time in this terrain. I have since gone to a re-inforced ring type ITP Baja rim on my Z400 sport quad, and for almost 2 years now, they've been bullet-proof. I have always heard that for sports quads, the ITP 10" cast aluminum rims are junk and will bend/crack very easily. How do their 12" utility cast aluminums rims hold up (I'm assuming most people have experience with the Series 4 rim)? I've looked into the OMF Ring reinforced Douglas .190 rims, and they are pricey, but I know they would do the trick. I would much rather buy ITP Series 4,5, or 6 rims for my Prairie because their at least half the price of the OMF rims (or $300 less for an entire wheel package). Also, with the larger diameter tire on a utility quad, I was also hoping this would protect the rim more.

Experiences/thoughts?

Thanks,
QuadZ

BTW... My buddy jack-hammered one of his stock Prairie rims within in the first ride in PA.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Hey where I ride in PA, the conditions are Brutal?-lol. I run the OMF Bead Lock and like them a lot on the Prairie. I have busted a few of the ITP C-Series wheels and being cast aluminum they dont bend they break and crack. If you dont wanna spend the money? You would be better off just going with a douglas 190 because if you where to ever get stuck on the trail with a bent wheel at least you could grab one of those good old Pa. hammers (BIG ROCK) and knock it back into shape. In a few months The Hipers Techs should be coming out for the Prairie and the carbon fiber wheels will be worth the wait, But just the others will set you back, IMO the OMF and Hipers are worth it, and you'll never need to buy another wheel again? Also the Maxxis Big Horn Tires cant be Beat up there in ROCK Country! ~coop

700 PrAiRiE
V-FoRce785
www.MarylandATV.com

(Click Camera for Photos as well as Web Site!)

Old 12-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I'd go with the ITP Bajas. They are really strong. I ride in a lot of rocky areas and hard packed areas and I haven't bent mine up at all. i ride really hard. Plus, the Bajas look awesome, but you already know that since you got them on yer Z400. Just get a big tire that overhangs the side of the rim an inch or two and make sure its a big ply tire and you won't have a big chance of messin up the rim. I'd stay away from the cast rims since they don't bend, they break. They sure look awesome though!!

Old 12-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

Where did you buy your OMF rims and how much? I found out that many of the shops that carry OMF rims, don't carry the 12" utility size. I had an opportunity, and probably still could buy a set of 4 OMF rims with inner and outer rings (not beadlocks) with Carisle Badlands tires for about $600 (an eBay auction that didn't sell). I don't want those tires, but I think those rims do run about $150+ each. Also, your the only guy I can find that has cracked ITP C-series 12" rims. I think you did that at Hatfield McCoy, and you blew out two tires, right? All rims/tires except for maybe your OMF beadlocks would probably of bent/cracked in a crash like that don't you think? For roughly the cost of a tire package on regular .190 Douglas rims, I can get a tire package on the ITP C-Series type 4 rims, so they don't really cost more. About $525 for the Douglas setup, and about $540 for the ITP setup. Unless you have some sort of hook-up, I would be looking at $600 for the OMF ring re-inforced, and then another $350 or so to buy the tires that I want. So, that's the tough call... $1,000 for almost indestructable rims, or about half that for rims that "could" be jack-hammered at some point down the road...

I'm not aware of an ITP Baja rim in a 12" size????

Thanks for your help guys,
QuadZ

Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Have we ever ridden together? or just know some of the same people? Its a small world those aint it! Down in hatfields I was passing another quad and took out two rims on one rock, The tires could have easly been plugged but the rims where toast. If I would have had the stock or an aluminum rim on I could have just bent them back and rode for the rest of the day, instead my day was done and I had to hobble back on flats. I think If I would have been running the OMFs maybe a plug or two? I also have talked to a few others that have cracked and busted there c-series as well, But they Race so most I guess wont push the wheels as hard? It is a GREAT looking wheel those and for some riders and in most conditions maybe a perfect wheel I guess. I just dont think an all cast wheel is the best choise for real rough off road conditions. I dont know if you've look into the Maxxis wheels? But I beleave they have a cast center with the outside being spun aluminum? The ITP Baja rim is not made in 12" but would be a good choise if they were? I got my beadlocks through OMF and Im a fan of there Ring or beadlock wheels, They are made to order and they do very good work. When The Hipers Techs come out I will be switching over to carbon fiber. For me Ive learned it Pays just to get the best from the start and I have no worries on the trial.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ~coop

700- PrAiRiE
V-FoRsE785

www.MarylandATV.com

Old 12-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Yes we've ridden together before... QuadZ (a.k.a Heavy J, a.k.a Jeff, Speedballs - Z400 w/ CT Pipe)

I called OMF too, and they told me I could find a re-seller who would sell them cheaper, that they have to charge full retail and shipping from CA. I called K&K ATV, and they don't sell the utility rims. So, it sounds like you do have to buy them direct? How much did you pay for the Beadlocks?

I found a brand new set of 4 OMF ring re-inforced on eBay with new 25" Carlisle Badlands tires for $600 plus $40 shipping. I don't really want those tires, but for that kind of money, I may have to contact the seller and see if their still available. When I contacted OMF, they wanted $150 a wheel for those rims, plus shipping from CA, so the Badlands are basically free tires with that deal.

QuadZ

Old 12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

I tried to contact that person from the ebay auction, and they never returned my e-mail, or I would have bought them.

And as far as the Hipertech carbon fiber wheels go ... I have heard of far more people breaking their Hiper carbon wheels than I have ever heard of breaking their C-Series wheels. The carbon wheels are definitely known as being "breakable" in the desert racing series', and if they break you are out of the race, just like with a cast wheel. MarylandATV is the only person I have ever heard of that has broken C-Series wheels.

Better to just miss the rock [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

OL

Old 12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

I know they are heavy, but if you want a wheel that is stronger than about anything out there, why not use the ITP Deltas? I had them on my Prairie 400 with 25" Dirt Devils and I thought they were great. Utah will test anyones wheels. I dinged the outside edges on rocks, but never bent the rim itself. I'm not sure they would bend if you dropped your ATV out of a helicopter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm putting them on my P650 without any reservations about the weight.

It would be nice if they weighed less, but at 5 lb. per wheel more than say the ITP type 4s, I'll take durability over weight. Guess I'd rather ride all day than worry about bending or breaking wheels.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a year on a set of itp c series type 4 and never once worried about breaking the rim. Unless you are jumping or hitting boulders at 40mph I dont think you will have any problems. Of course if you are hitting rocks that big at those speeds a busted rim is the least of your worries.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

I'm honestly leaning towards the C-Series for price. For $540 I can get the tire and Type 4 rims delivered that I want. To go the OMF route, I'm at $1,000 (not even for the beadlocks). That still provides enough money to buy a few replacement rims and still come out well ahead.

I've ridden with Coop/MarylandATV before, and I've seen the pictures and heard the stories of his adventures. I'm sure he's punishing everything bolted onto his machine, much more so then the average person. For him, the OMF beadlock is probably a real good investment. I've had several online retailers tell me they haven't had any or one or two that have ever cracked after selling hundreds if not thousands of the C-Series 12" rims. I'm glad that some of you are saying the same thing.

If your racing and you really hammer the machine through nasty stuff, the C-Series is probably not the best choice.

Thanks for the info.,
QuadZ

Quick Reply: Best Utility Rims? ITP Cast, OMF Reinforced, stock???