Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATV police

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV police

It would be kinda fun to be a cop and be able to do that, but I wouldnt take a grizz.....maybe a nice TRX250r.......or 450r.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV police

Yeah, TX does have some screwy atv laws. Last Jan 1st (2004), a new law (Senate Bill 155) took effect which now bans all motorized and wheeled vehicles (including ATVs) from riding in nearly all public riverbottom areas in TX. According to the TX General Land Office, that area is approx. 1 million acres in size. Most of the local riding areas near me were just trails and sandbars located in and along riverbottom areas, which are all offlimits now thanx to this assinine law. The real kick in the butt is that this law exempts law enforcement so that they can still ride these areas for purposes of enforcing the law....kinda makes me want to become a cop just so I can ride my local trails again!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default ATV police

Are you talking about Spring Creek?

Old 12-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV police

Originally posted by: KP700
Are you talking about Spring Creek?

Yep, Spring Creek and also San Jac river at hwy 242. I also rode on Coleto Creek (in Victoria) once before the ban took effect...all three of these riding areas are now off-limits thanx to the new law. But I've read several reports around the end of the summer that cops are now giving tickets on Spring Creek for violating SB 155...and they are doing so while riding quads! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV police

Well, being a police officer from South Dakota, and having an 04 camo P700 that is licensed to drive on the street , I can only hope to clear up some of the confusion over the "exempt" plates on the police ATV's.

If you look at any license plate on any city or government owned vehicle , it will read exempt on the plate.
It does not mean that they are exempt from following the law , just that they are tax exempt, being a government entitiy.

Truthfully, The Yankton SD Police department is considering purchasing a Yamaha Rhino for law enforcement use. Yankton is right along the Missouri river and has a huge celebration every August called Riverboat Days.

The Rhino would be an excellent patrol vehicle for that reason and many others being a historical river town and having many types of get togethers and celebrations.

Hope this helps.....

Steve

Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV police

We aren't supposed to drive our atv's in our small town but we do anyways. Usually they don't care but we also don't have that many cops here. I think atv's should be able to be driven on the streets. Everyone would save on gas and the they emit less emissions than cars. We'd be helpin the environment!! I've seen atvs that are on the beach patrols. I thought I saw some Lakota's on some of the beaches in California?

Old 12-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV police

Originally posted by: grownmancrying
Well, being a police officer from South Dakota, and having an 04 camo P700 that is licensed to drive on the street , I can only hope to clear up some of the confusion over the "exempt" plates on the police ATV's.

If you look at any license plate on any city or government owned vehicle , it will read exempt on the plate.
It does not mean that they are exempt from following the law , just that they are tax exempt, being a government entitiy.

Truthfully, The Yankton SD Police department is considering purchasing a Yamaha Rhino for law enforcement use. Yankton is right along the Missouri river and has a huge celebration every August called Riverboat Days.

The Rhino would be an excellent patrol vehicle for that reason and many others being a historical river town and having many types of get togethers and celebrations.

Hope this helps.....

Steve

The bottom line is that NO policeman is above the law. If the law says no atv's or orv's on the road, then that applies to everyone.....THAT IS THE LAW!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV police

Originally posted by: ranger696f
hey depends on the state here in montana we are allowed to drive or ride on streets hell during the summer the old farts drive there riding mowers to store and so on hell the 14 year old kids have licences here !!!!!!! crazy compared to louisville, ky and new albany ,indiana

Idaho is the same way. I have heard a BBQ with a 5 HP motor turning the wheels can get a plate and a sticker.

most the time the cops will stop you, tell you not to do it and ask to see your bike or ATV. Then you set up a riding time with them.

It is great.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV police

If a police department in Texas can use ATV on streets and call it a great way to do business, I can guarantee your street licensed atv's will be legal in our country in at least 100 years. LOL
Actually they are legal in Arizona if licensed, as is wearing a 6 shooter or 45 on the side. Carrying a 12 gauge, 7mm mag down the street, etc.
Move to Arizona. lol

Old 12-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV police

This is a bit off-topic, but something I've been wondering about. Are age restrictions enforced on public trail systems? My son is under 16 and we would like to do some trail riding while on vacation next summer. Will we have any trouble doing this? Colorado is probably where we will be going.

Thanks.............

Quick Reply: ATV police