Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

General rule on jetting? Is it richer main jets for colder temps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General rule on jetting? Is it richer main jets for colder temps?

Yup, Kodiac. And thirty degree air requires more rum, too.

A tip: 10% methanol added to the gas will help to compensate for colder riding temperatures, easier than messing with the carb jets, but no more than that, or it will burn the valve seats.

BTW, how do I mod my Kawi 650 prairie with the wing and the prop, so I can fly too? (Chuckle). Going back to bed, and to hell with the cold weather-riding, except for plowing the snow that the dratted blizzard just dumped on me.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well I think the speed is there but I am not sure about the lift[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].....I know in the summer it feels like....well a Piper BUT in the winter it feels like a P51!
Winter riding is good.......we can't let the snowmobile guys have ALL the fun!
02 650 camo

Old 01-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

I'm experiencing the same thing with my 03 P650. I had it out playing in the snow the other day, about 15F. It started pretty well, but above 35 or so when you nailed it, it seemd to want to go and then bog down, like it was so lean it was seizing. I know from that that I need to go up a main jet size. These quads are really lean from the factory, and adding high flow snorkels and a hot cdi didn't help that situation much. I already went up to 142/145, but am going to switch up to 145/148.

Just as a point of reference Mikey - racers have a saying ' they always run their absolute best right before they blow up.' I wouldn't tune your dial-a-jets based on your absolute peak performance - I'd leave a little window of richness to allow for temp variations and generally avoiding detonation/lean conditions.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

They are most definitely lean from the factory.They met the 06 standards in 02.
02 650 camo

Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

Bingo. The light just came on when i read that "lean from the factory" comment. I must change my KVF jets, I guess. Damn the california emission standards, anyway. I also have a problem with my Coleman 6.5 KW standby home-power generator, which has fixed carb jets and will not start or run smooth if it is cold. Same reason, except that they do not make a richer jet for it. It is Tecumseh 8 Hp 4-stroke. I may get to where I hafta DRILL the damn jet out larger to fix it.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Bogtrotter - the cold start problems with p650's are not due to the size of the main jets, it's the low speed/pilots. The main jets don't really even become a factor until about 1/2 throttle. Anyway, to solve the cold start problem, turn your pilot jet screws in all the way clockwise, noting how many turns they were out from the factory. There is a wide variance, but most folks find that turning these pilots out 2 1/2 turns or so gets them right where they want to be. Remember, when you are richening the low speed circuit, you will have to compensate by raising the idle speed with the idle adjuster (turning it clockwise/leaner). Mine were 1 1/2 or so from the factory, and I'd get all the typical popping and cold starting issues. As soon as you turn them out, it will start a LOT easier. I can pretty much just pull the choke and hit the button, she fires without any throttle input when cold. Good luck with it!
Here's a great pic of the carbs borrowed from Paul's site.

Carb PIC

Old 01-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Lightman, your info is good, is it documented anywhere? I would like to have it when I finally get my p700 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Plainsmen - save a link to this thread in your favorites, copy/paste it to a file, or write it on a piece of paper [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I must say that I'm not sure if the 700 prairies have this same issue, my experience is with the 650. If you go to nyroc's site in the tech help section for p650's there is a thread called 'jetting' I believe, which may reiterate some of the info I've posted. Otherwise do a search. This has been covered a ton of times in the last few years with prairie owners on this site. They are just too lean on the low end from the factory.

For those that are 'afraid to mess with it' give this a try, it really just does require a long thin flathead screwdriver and a flashlight/work light. It will take about 30 seconds total. Just remember guys to be conscious of the difference between a half turn and a full turn - go all the way around the clock for 1 turn [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I know that sounds silly but I've seen crazier things. Also when you turn the screws in, don't be a gorilla when they stop and crank/break them, just turn them until they stop, then back out 2.5 turns.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Im familar with the carb tinkering. I have a 2002 Yam FZ1 with a Dale Walker timing advancer and jet kit. I didnt think the atvs would be the same as the bikes coming lean from the factory.

Hey can you give me your email addy? I would like to talk to you a bit about that local deal im working on.

plainsman@gmail.com