Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Carb off, any sudgestions? FIXED IT!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb off, any sudgestions?

I finally took my carb off for a good cleaning. Thats what my dealer claims is behind my high RPM shut down. Its been an ongoing saga should you care to read:

Previous thread about this problem

I took the float bowl off and couldnt find any crud or even varnish inside, its pretty clean, thats not to say there isnt anything lodged into the jets or something. I took the top off also, nothing in there and the slide works smoothly. I am going to go ahead and pay the dealer $60.00 to go through the carb. That will eliminate it as a source of this problem once and for all. Then they wont be able to say thats it when I bring it back.

It ran mostly good over the holidays only cutting out when ran at absolute full throttle for more than a minute or two, used it in the 2 foot high snow drifts and it was fun, but a few days after new years, I went to start it and it ran like crap for about 15 minutes, I had to turn the idle way up for it to even run. Then I gave it some full throttle blasts after warm up and it sputtered and went back to normal. I have been draining the float bowl regularly and no water or crud comes out there either. Im really hoping its the carb, because im REALLY sick of messing with it. Is there anything I could do to it while its off to help with performance? Thanks

Old 01-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

your quad should run fine without the battery. if it doesn't you most likely have a alternator problem. in the earlier post you never let anyone know about what happen when you let it run without battery for sure. from the earlier post you possibly have more than one problem. to fix the problems you have make sure everything is ckecked completely with no loose ends and then move on.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I never replied on the other topic. This bike wont run well without a battery, it will run, but not well. Every dealer ive talked too and two separate shops, said it should NOT run very good without a battery, but should run, and that it does. It will idle fine without a battery, but give it any juice at all and it falls on its face, hook up the battery and this corrects itself, even in its present state. It puts out 14 volts from the charging circuit and the regulator cuts that down to anywhere between 12 and 13.5. I have checked the charging system, and battery, and they checked out good. This is the next step.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Range Rover

did you blow out all the little holes in the carb to make sure theres nothing in there. there is a front and rear to every hole in the carb no matter how small so when you put in air it's gonna come out. make sure tou got air coming out. put air in and find where it comes out.take out your jets , float, and anything that moves. then see what happens. you might wanna check your float height also. buy kawi? .com should have all the specs. let us know.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

I got all the diagrams and specs from the buykawi site, its a great site for the do it yourselfer. There really isnt much at all to this carb. I thought there would be more parts inside it being that its a vacuum operated slide. I think I will tackle this teardown myself. The only part I dont have apart yet is the jets and float. I will measure the float height also. All the little holes I can find are clear and go somewhere else. The only thing I can think of that might make this carb a suspect, is if I find something in the jets or on the float needle, because the rest of it is squeeky clean. I will take pics since there arent too many on websites of this carb. If all else fails, I will hunt down a Mikuni pumper carb with manual slide, that should wake it up some. Plus I have a bad petcock again, with it off, fuel flows right through it, they just fixed this not long ago at my expense.........

Old 01-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Range Rover

my carbs went crazy if i ran it hard and then tried to give gas it would act as if they had ran out of gas like the pitcock was turned off. Or if it was going up a big hill. It took three times of blowing everything out for it to be right. take you carbs somewhere there is good air pressure and blow the heck out of them. while putting them back togather be sure that the slides move freely and the springs are don't pop out sideways or the sides will stick. Good luck!!! P.S. just out of dumb luck try to drive on reserve and see if anything happens"???"

Old 01-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

yes...make sure the petcock is fully on...then you could also take out the petcock and clean the screens on there..hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the sudgestions, I did run it on reserve most of the time last month but only because I was that low on fuel. It eventually did the same thing though, but to eliminate the petcock, im going to remove the screen and try to fix it myself this time. I have decided against giving any more of my hard earned cash to this dealer. I will do the carb and the petcock myself. I can put 60 bucks to use somewhere else.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

I found the slightest bit of junk under the main needle clogging one out of the 6 little holes, maybe that could be it. I was wondering what the main jet size was on this quad and if changing to a different one would benifit while I had this thing out.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While spraying a whole can of cleaner on every part of this carb, I took out the float needle and sprayed from there out. A little piece of rubber fell out of the fuel inlet. The more I cleaned the more little pieces of rubber I found in the carb. I then turned to the fuel tap or petcock, and took it apart only to find that part of it had disentigrated and made its way into my carb. The dealership just replaced this part maybe last august under warranty, so I took the broken part only back to them. They gave me a new one free....
I then put on an in line fuel filter so something like this will never happen again. I adjusted the valves while I had it apart also. Intake valves were a bit tight, and exhaust valves were allmost dead on, just one of them needed adjustment. It runs great so far, no hesitation from idle. Now I just have to take it out and ride it to see if its fully cured.

And to think it took 3 trips to a dealer who never found the problem but wanted to charge me money to take the carb apart.......

I would advise everyone to get an inline fuel filter. 3 bucks is cheap insurance. Thanks for the help everyone!