Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is snow build up a bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is snow build up a bad thing?

Hi doodes. I've been blasting through the snow here in upstate, NY since we finally have some wintery weather. Anyways, I've noticed that after riding, there is a good amount of snow built up around the suspension, lower-engine areas, and various other places. I usually try and grab as much as I can by hand but quite a bit still remains. So then....

Will it hurt anything sitting in there until it melts naturally?

Should I run a space heater overnight to get it all outta there?

Thanks for any info...

Mike

Old 01-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

After i get back from a ride in the snow i clean off most of the snow too on my quad same places you said but you can't get it all so i just let it melt off naturally. I dont believe anything major will happen maybe a little rust if that but there really nothing you can do about that.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

I have noticed just one major problem from snow buildup, after a thaw, that is that snow-melt water can seep into the front fan motor shaft bushings and then freeze up and sieze the fan motor shaft. If that happens, when the engine gets hot again and the fan sensor calls for the radiator fan to come on, it will blow the fuse (which is a 15-Amp, located under the seat). That occurrence means, of course, that the engine will certainly overheat. I wonder if a judicious blast of compressed air, after use in the snow, would clear it out, before it thaws and then re-freezes?

If you have the ATV lights on, then you will see the engine over-temperature warning signal flashing in the instrument cluster, but in the dark without lights, you probably won't. I blew all the antifreeze out of my rad that way, but fortunately did not damage the engine or the fan. Morale of the story is carry a spare 15 Amp fuse, (there is no spare 15-amp fuse provided in the stock quad), use the driving lights, and watch the temperature warning signal, and if it gets over hot, switch it off and let it cool (and that heat will probably melt the ice in the fan motor shaft bushings). The fan is in a most inaccessible location, so if it will not thaw itself from the engine heat, then you have to take it inside a warm building and thaw it.

Another big bitch I have with the Kawi ignition-lock positioning is that snow will enter the keyhole, then melt and re-freeze, seizing the lock-cylinder up solid (if you have removed the key overnight, to keep some SOB from stealing your quad). I have had to use a propane torch and a can of alcohol to thaw my ignition lock, twice. After that, I went and bought an uncut key blank and left that blank key in the lock, with the rubber key-fob doohickey left on over the key blank, so as to protect the lock opening from snow entry. The little things that our Japanese engineering friends seem to forget, huh!

Old 01-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just let mine melt away naturally, but only because I have no other choice, no garage or anything. I did dig all that I could out. I blew the 15 amp fan fuse once, but mine had a spare hanging from the wire near the fuse holder. Didnt overheat, I caught it on a pre ride checkout. Ive had the key freeze up on me and that really stinks, I just went inside and got some hot water and thawed it out enough to ride, it of course froze back up but with my key in it, so dont try that. Windshield de-icer spray for cars is good stuff, comes in a spray can. It kind of prevents it in the future, although you have to powder up the keyway after it warms up outside.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Haven't noticed any ill effects from snow being left on the quads as yet. Most of the time they end up in the shop and will melt off and dry overnight.

My major concern would be if you are using the machine on roads and the possibility of getting salt or other ice melt on it. That stuff causes rust and bearing damage in a hurry.

The problem of the key hole filling with ice and the solution are things I would never have thought of. Good call.

Thanks for the heads up on the fan getting frozen. Maybe, if you have power available, a hair dryer would warm it up and prevent this problem. I guess the shaft could freeze up again while rideing. Maybe an "O" ring put on the fan shaft just ahead of the bearing would act as a seal and drip ring to keep the water out.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Frozen snow can rip the drive boots.