Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Air box popping at 5mph. What speed does the idle circuit quit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air box popping at 5mph. What speed does the idle circuit quit?

Hello, I have been playing with idle and air screws. Anyway I can steadily drive 2-3mph 6+, but at 4-5 I get the popping. Now when I increase idle further it goes away, but at that point the quad is wanting to move a little. When does the idle circuit quit and the next take over?

Im about 3 1/8 or so on front and 3 1/4 rear. The front one is the one that seems to effect the popping.

Adivice?

Thanks

03 Prairie 650

Old 02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The idle circuit gives way to the slide cutout, around 1/8 throttle, but still has an effect up to 1/4 throttle.
Throttle position determines which circuit is being used,.... rpm and mph dont really factor in.
If you scroll down to fig 7, in this article, it has a diagram of where each circuit has an effect.
carb101
You can go about 4 turns out on the mixture screws, if the motor needs more, then bigger pilot jets will be neeeded.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Have you shimmed your needle or adjusted needle setting to make it a little richer?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Tuff

Old 02-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tuffEnuf
Have you shimmed your needle or adjusted needle setting to make it a little richer?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Tuff

Thanks Tuff,

No I have not shimed, but maybe that will be in order once we get some warmer weather and I pull the carbs. I think I may try the napa snorkel too. I really dont need any more power though. I am more interested in easy starts and smooth idling.

My understanding that at low speed I didnt need to tinker with lifting the needles, that it was all in the pilots and idle? I thought shimming would produce more mid power?

Here are pics of my plugs after about 10 hours, 100 miles.

I didnt like how the front one had 2 little specs on the procleln (sp).

http://www.horacend.com/images/1.jpg
http://www.horacend.com/images/2.jpg
http://www.horacend.com/images/3.jpg
http://www.horacend.com/images/4.jpg

Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Plainsman
Are you doing Plug Chop Correctly?
You need to unbutton all necessary plastic that will allow you easy access to your plugs. get the necessary tools in a bag and choose you a stretch of road that will allow you a 1/3 to1/2 mile full throttle run. Its important that after you have reached the 1/3-1/2 mile run that you keep throttle lever held wide open while you push the engine kill button to off position and let quad coast to stop with throttle lever full open. Pull your plugs and inspect. Letting your bike idle before you check the plugs may give a false reading. Hard to tell from your pictures, pictures need to put plugs against a white or lighter background

Shimming your needles will help the transition between idle and wide open throttle (Where you are getting the popping).

Also, adding the DG snorkel will make quad leaner. If after you have backed out the mixture screw and quad still pops & do not want to do the needle adjustment just yet, try closing off part of the original snorkel opening or any holes you have drilled in your airbox with duct tape to see if popping goes away.

Tuffenuff[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]