Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Primary spring article

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary spring article

Thanks rivermud, that is correct about the hp.

$300 seems about right for the cams. Was that delivered?

Thanks for the answer, thats the kind of answer I can relate to. I want the cams bad but want the head work done too. I may fork over some money and have an expert like Ray at Fundy powersports do it. Decisions Decisions.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

KOD I hear Ya on Decisions, Decisions. Port and Polish would be the Icing on my Prairie also.

Prairie Wrench just sent his 700 heads to Ray be ported & Polished. Maybe he can shed some light on cost & how it performed. He also said that shipping was just $50.

Decisions, Decisions

TuffEnuff[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

The i picked up the cams so no delivery. They come in a pretty small box so shipping shouldnt be much from MO to NC. I had every intention to let Rick Ritter do my heads since he is somewhat local (avoid shipping), very nice guy, and has a great reputation. The price was fine but he was so busy it was about a 2 week turn around and I had to get the quad back together for a planned ride. The place I went had them ready for pick up the next afternoon. couple days now. It just says:

The brute belt sounds like it will be worth trying. Whats up with nyrocs site? I havent been able to get on it for a couple days now. It just says: The Web server connection was closed.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

nevermind about nyrocs site, I just tried again and it worked fine.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

KOD: Ordered 4 of those altitude shims and we have about 5 springs to try, so will try some stuff and post it for you and the forum. It's my understanding that it doesn't matter what altitude the springs are tested at as long as the bike is running well re jetting and clutch weights.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

So would heavier weights cause the "shift point" to happen at a lower rpm? And the opposite true for lighter weights?

If so and I am 2 mph away from my rev limiter in high, then it seems like heavier weights would push the belt to the outer edge of the primary sheaves sooner (lower rpm's).

I have not seem a power of torque curve of the Prairie, and mine would be different since it has been modded, but maximum power is usually available before reaching maximum rpm's. So assuming that since I am only 2 mph away from my rev limiter, it seems safe to assume that I am already on the down side of the power curve.

That being said, could I use heavier weights to push the belt to the outer edge sooner, thus reducing my rpm's for the same speed as with the lighter weights. Lower rpm's should place me back closer to my peak power range, possibly allowing for more top speed. Or at least the same top speed at lower rpm's?

Hope this makes since.

What do you guys think?????????

Old 03-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

If you havent done it already, the top end clutch mod will allow higher top speed with less rpms. Usually at least 3-5 mph. Not bad for a free mod!!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

If I did the top end clutch mod, I guess it would have to be for bragging rights. Not often do I need to trail ride at 70+mph!

If changing to heavier weights would push the belt out on the primary sheaves sooner, wouldn't that be like a slightly higher gear ratio? Same speed at lower rpm's?

Old 03-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't shoot me for asking, still getting used to the bike. Trying to apply my snowmobiling clutch knowhow to this, they seem to parallel each other. What is the top end clutch mod??