Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Sank the BF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sank the BF

Well I did it....pushed her a little too far after ALOT of rain...ran it all day in water to the racks never had a problem from the fenders (for all those who dont like the airbox setup) i did have a problem tho when i turned it over in 5feet of water lol...really its not funny but if i dont laugh ill cry...i did it all on my own now its missing and backfiring bad from mid throttle on sounds like its running on 1 cyl....tell me what all to do....i changed the oil (very little water in the oil) I also replaced the air filter it wasnt too bad either (she didnt totally submerge just threw me off and half the airbox went in before we winched it out total wet time of less than a minute) i ordered new plugs because advance didnt have them what else do i need to do drain the carbs? anything else? sorry i am rambling just a concerned parent here LoL

Thanks

Ryan

Old 04-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sank the BF

I've drowned my P650 5 times since I've had it, and becoming pretty efficient
at getting it back together. From taking me 8 hours the first time, to an hour
the last time. I had the same problem you had at one time, drained the carb bowls
with no luck, end up having to take the covers off. There was grit and sand in it,
washed it out and still had the same problem. End up removing my airbox and finding
grit jammed in the jet holes of the carbs (I guess that's what there called). Blew out the
holes, and everything worked back to normal.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sank the BF

Got that T-shirt, hurts your pride more than the bike to see your quad belly up in a creek. Especially when you have an audiance!!

Drain, remove & clean carb bowls, main jets, pilot jets, CVT cover, belt, & clutches. Use a air gun nozzle and spray low pressure spurts of air in all vent hoses in airbox and holes by each carb velocity stack (might have a piece of grit in it). ensure sparkplug holes, plug wires, & Snorkel & airbox drains are not filled with mud/water, Put in a fresh set of plugs, Blow dry/air gun dry all your fuses, fuse holders, cdi Connections and electrical connections under seat. Start Quad let it warm up (fn comes on) & shut it down & check your oil If its milky you need to flush oil. (May have to flush oil 2-3 times. Also check your rear storage box & recoil/pull starter & dry it out. If still running crappy may want to take your springs, needles & slides out of carbs & ensure no crud is in them.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
TuffEnuff

Old 04-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Range Rover
Default Sank the BF

Hmmm... I got an idea.

How about staying out of lakes and oceans with the 4 wheeler? They are made for land ya know.

Perhaps a submarine or amphibious military vehicle would be a better choice.

Geeesh.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sank the BF

A = All
T = Terrain
V= Vehicle

I have toys that only ride on land, and water, need one for both, that what the Quad is for IMO!

Old 04-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sank the BF

lol i got 2 jetskis maybe i thought the brute would float =) no seriously tho i have a snorkel kit on the way so imgoing right back to the same hole again yea yea i know but hey i bought it to go anywhere and everywhere

Old 04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sank the BF

heyu did you get it to start yet. I've sank my 4-wheelers lots of times. when mine don't start right away its usually that the heads aren't totally dry. pull both spark plugs and crank it for a few seconds. if it was really swamped once might be enough. A good trick I came up with up here in the cold north is put a hair dryer on the heads for a while till they are nice and warm. also clean and dry spark plugs and spark plug wire ends. make sure and drain the carbs. also a possability that something electric got messed up. I bet that your heads are still wet inside, heat em up for a good long time with a hair dryer it will work!!

Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sank the BF

just a little clearification. make sure the spark plugs are out when you warm the heads up

Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sank the BF

drained the carbs changed the oil and replaced the plugs and she is runnin like a scalded ape now....the plugs should have been changed awhile ago she is a BEAST again like it was before i put the big ole outlaws on her =)

Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sank the BF

Git er done![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was impressed with the prairie, put her in the lake up to the snorkel, no water anywhere but a little in the cvt. Under for 15mins, went through the ice. Rode the rest the day no probs.