Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Forgot to tighten oil dipstick, OOOPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot to tighten oil dipstick, OOOPS

Hey all, I have a 400 prairie, and I have been having some overheating problems. Last nigth i wanted to check to oil to be sure that was not my issue, i checked it, and for reasons i cannot understand i just put the dipstick back in the hole without turning to tighten. I nkow im an idiot, at the time my daughter was trying to ride her new bike, and all I can think is I got preoccupied. Anyway it gets worse, a lil while longer I figured I would drive the bike into the lake a lil bit, as it did it staretd to die on me, I couldnt understand why, then all of a sudden i looked down and saw i had oil all over my leg, I then remembered that I did not tighten the dipstick. Yes the water was way deeper than the dipstick. So now the biek wont start at all, and yes my oil is milky.

Any suggestions, or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. I mean i know i need to drain the oil, but I am wondering what else needs to be done and in what order?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

IM AN IDIOT

Old 04-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

your probably just going to have to flush it out. change the oil a couple of times after draining it. you may have to spend about 25-30 on oil to do this with. just buy some cheap stuff the flush it with and then when you get it all out just run your regular oil. as far as it not running i dont know about that

Old 04-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

you probably have water in the cyclinder is why it wont start. water doesnt compress. hopefully you didnt screw up the valves and can just drain it all out. take the spark plug out and crank it over to blow all the water out of the cyclinder before trying to start it again. then like the previous poster said, change the oil, run it 5 or 10 minutes, drain it again, repeat until no milky is left.