Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Why doesn't the KFX700 (v-force) come with manual shift???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't the KFX700 (v-force) come with manual shift???

I think chain drive would make it alot faster. There was a company testing out chain drive a few months ago, i think they hit like 90 on the salt flats.

edit: heres the link: http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...=chain%20drive

Old 06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry there 700v. The question of will a chain or manuel shift make it faster is hard to answer, you gotta way the options. If it is "geared" the same then NO. But just like the shaft CVT set up, it can be modified to make it "faster". The CVT has aftermarket springs and pullies and all kinds of "fancy" stuff to either produce more "take-off (torque) " or even top end, just like a chain / clutch would. Again you gotta ask if with the manual shift and chain the drive ratio is different than a CVT ratio. Engine/trannie/rear axle rpms are all similar then its going to run/ perform basically the same manner. If the chain/ manuel has different ratios stock then it will perform different.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

700vtwinman...

Sorry your post got so out of hand. I get frustrated when kids try to bash other bikes and the people who ride them. To answer your question, Yes, the 700 would probably be faster if it was a manual shift. The cvt tranny does have it's drawbacks as far as top speed is concerned. I actually bought this bike for my wife because she did not know how to shift. After riding it a few times and hearing about how well this bike responds to mods, I had to put some money into the V. When the bike was stock, I would lose drag races to most of the other high performance ATV's, but after manipulating the intake, piping it and re-working the clutch setup, the only bikes I have trouble with are the piped YFZ's and banshees with alot of engine mods. I will have some nitrous coming to my house soon to take care of them too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zex129
I gotta get in on this one. NO the KFX doesnt have ONE long gear, it has two ( am i correct?), basically, and simply put, they arent "gears" they are drives. AM I correct guys, in the general terminology. Im looking into getting one myself soon. Also, if you only tighten your chain and lube it twice a year, then I question How often you actually ride your quads, as only twice a year for someone who rides "often" and actually has enough knowledge to participate in a post like this doesnt add up. You must go thru lots of chains each year from not lubing often enough and if so then they dont last that long, thus the conclusion of "i only lube and tighten once a year). if you actually ride those things enough to be considered and atv'r. Now I know your going to try to "rape" me for this, but ive been abused before so go ahead, tell us more , so that we may place you better in the order of idiots. Actually , also my cousin has a KFX, and another has a Banshee, BOTH stock, well actually the banshee has a pipe, anyway the banshee has yet to beat the KFX in a drag race. as far as the bomb. you own i dont know, as know one I know owns one any longer ( one person did for a short time), mostly cause theve been found to be tried and left wanting, because out of being ridden in the "desert" they were and are useless.( sorry to any other current bomb owners.)
First my chain matinence is split between 2 quads, so someone with 1 quad might do his chain 4 times a year. I ride daily {I live in the country} usually fo 1 or 2 hours a day. My ds [2001]still has the original chain/sprockets, where as my shee {87} has a new chain/sprockets. True the ds doesn't make a good trail bike, but it sure eats up the sand. If a piped banshee lost to a kfx, it probilly wasnt jetted, or the pilot was a novice. Now what ever a kfx's hp is at the crank, the auto/shaft bleeds alot of hp before it reaches the rear tires. A manual/chain will bleed hp as well, just not as much, making the bike feel like it has more power. This is true, even in the automotive world, where a stick gets better power numbers to the ground than an auto.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

First my chain matinence is split between 2 quads, so someone with 1 quad might do his chain 4 times a year. I ride daily {I live in the country} usually fo 1 or 2 hours a day. My ds [2001]still has the original chain/sprockets, where as my shee {87} has a new chain/sprockets. True the ds doesn't make a good trail bike, but it sure eats up the sand. If a piped banshee lost to a kfx, it probilly wasnt jetted, or the pilot was a novice. Now what ever a kfx's hp is at the crank, the auto/shaft bleeds alot of hp before it reaches the rear tires. A manual/chain will bleed hp as well, just not as much, making the bike feel like it has more power. This is true, even in the automotive world, where a stick gets better power numbers to the ground than an auto.
I'm sure its safe to say you've never ridden a V-Force that was clutched correctly with a good set of duals on it. The only quad I've raced that can consistently outrun me is a 558 12.5:1 Predator and that includes 4 different piped Banshees, a couple of piped Raptors, 450R, YFZ 450, 440ex and the Predator back when it was a 500. My own Raptor with a White Bros. slip-on is usually about 5 quadlengths behind my V in 150 yards.

You don't know how much HP is lost by the CVT because there's no accurate way to dyno a quad with a CVT as its constantly shifting and not locked in a 1:1 ratio like a manual quad would be.

For the original poster:
An automatic when clutched & launched correctly is a big advantage in 100-150 yard races. No feathering of the clutch off the line and no RPM variance while shifting. Just hold it wide open and hang on. If you're going to be racing long, long distances then the CVT will be a drawback.
The only advantage to the chain drive is the ability to gear up or down. If 70-75 mph isn't fast enough then you may want something with a chain and cogs. The driveshaft requires no maintenance and allows for a couple extra inches of ground clearance.

The people who like to criticize the V should be thankful that Kawasaki didn't take their 700-750 twin and put it in a 400lb. quad.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

First off a STOCK kfx gets beat by practally every STOCK performance quad {400's excluded} out there. Sure put $2000 in any bike and it will fly. Second, your are right, I dont know how much a cvt robs a motor, but it's obiviously more than a manual 5 speed with clutch would rob a motor. JESUS CHRIST IT'S A 700 V- TWIN, IT SHOULD SMOKE EVERYTHING OUT THERE.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

And why cant you chassis dyno a kfx? The bike would think it is on the ground running wide open. And 1to1 drive ratio means the crank is turning at the same speed as the shaft. A manual tranny would only be at 1 to 1 ratio in top gear. Are you saying kfx has overdrive?

Old 06-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks vtwinner and zex129 for the good information.

1. So if you put the same tranny on the KFX700 that is on the raptor, it will be faster than the raptor??? 2. And, stock for stock, what is the fastest sport quad? Top end and say 100 yards?
3. Is there any aftermarket maunal trannies for the KFX700 or would it be better to put that money in motor mods?

Again, thanks for the information and getting back on track with the thread.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

If Kawasaki wanted it to outrun everything out there it would, the power potential of the 700-750 twins is huge. They are not going for the Raptor, Predator, DS market they are more interested in the Scrambler / Utility riders who want a sport quad and bigger men that aren't comfortable on the smaller sport quads. The motor is de-tuned and the clutch is set up so that anybody can just jump on it and ride it without killing themselves, not to mention that the quad weighs 516lbs. dry.

You don't need to put $2000 in it to make it run with other stock quads, a simple $25 primary spring change will allow it to run close or better than any stock quads with the exception of the YFZ.

You can crank dyno it correctly, you can't rear-wheel dyno it correctly so there's now way you can accurately determine power loss of the CVT.

Like I said, if they wanted the fastest quad I'm sure they could have made a 60HP 400 lb. quad.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: midnite
True the ds doesn't make a good trail bike, but it sure eats up the sand.
Hmmmm, unfortunately there's just not a whole lota sand here in the Land of Lincoln......
And the DS doesn't handle any better than the KFX700 in the sand.........

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the KFX700 (v-force) come with manual shift???