Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojo/lakota owners with 36mm carb.......i could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mojo/lakota owners with 36mm carb.......i could use some help

got some questions about the carb...it seems like im having quite a bit of dificulties. maby some of you could help me out........i sent the same list of problems to greg@cwr so either way everything should get resolved lol

1.the intake boot seems too small for the carb, it
took forever to work it in there and i have to use a
hose clamp now because the other one is now too small,
and the carb looks like it can pop out of the intake
boot any time. How should i fix it?

2.i cant put the gas tank back on because that metal
tube that comes outof the top of the carb for the
throttle cable is hitting it, is it ok to bend that?

3.i had to cut the tube comming from the air box
because it was too long to work with the adaptor and
now it seems like that too is fitting sort of weird.
Did any of you have to do this?

3.to dubble check, the choke is off when the lever is
pressed down(on a slant), is that right?

4.Last and most important, my lakota now runs terrable
to say the least, lol.....When i start it, it idles
real high for about 5 seconds then the idle lowers to
the point where it sounds like its gonna die out, it
stays like that for a few seconds then dies. When i
try to give it throttle it (even just slightly) it
smokes alot of whiteish/grey smoke which it never did
before(that color is ususally oil related but it
dosnt seem that way in my case)and then it
just dies after a few seconds of me trying to rev it even slightly.
What kind of ajustments should i make to get it
running right?

Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't have any of the fitting problems but the cable on mine..i just turned it sideways and kinda made it work...i think i'm gonna get a different fitting and see if that helps..choke is up not down...maybe that has to do with your running prolbems...i can't get mine to idle right so i just got used to it...works fine if i just keep blippin the throttle

Old 07-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have any trouble either with the intake tube, but that was on the Mojave. Get an intake tube for a mojave and no mods will be needed.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kwackermann
I didn't have any trouble either with the intake tube, but that was on the Mojave. Get an intake tube for a mojave and no mods will be needed.
kwackerman, thats what i would like to do but i already asked greg about it and he said it wont fit. the lakota comes with a 32mm carb so the boot is probally bigger on a mojo. I just ground mine out a bit to make it fit better but now that i got it back together again it wont start at all.....any suggestions...................now wheres Newduck, he has one on his lakota.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you can put a mojave intake boot onto a lakota.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

maby you could(it would be nice) but i do believe from looking at a mojave a while back that the boot was maby on an angle where as the lakota comes strait out but im not shure bout it being on an angle................any way good news about the carb, i got it to idle good and its not really smoking but it does stumble when i give it throttle and its running extremely rich, right now i got a 220 main jet, 35 pilot, air screw out 3 turns and the needle jet on the second notch from the bottom, any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Here to the rescue
1. I bought a mojave intake boot (fits perfect) and that way if you want you can open up your intake port.
2.The tube if i remember right just makes a 90 degree turn all i did was grind down to where the i could still get it to seat in the carb then i just bent it a little so i could get my tank on
3.I just got rid of my air box becuase i thought it was a pain.
4. Do you have any idea what your jetting is? Or that your choke is on could be the problem. I had a little bit of white smoke with mine the other day also but i didnt know what is was from i just guessed it was oil.

EDIT I just saw your other post. Can you go from 1/4 throttle to full and will it be just fine? My jetting is 200 main and 35 pilot and on the 3rd notch. Can you email greg? I tried but it came back to me

Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

it seems that it just stumbles a bit at first but at or past 1/4 throttle it seems fine, i believe the air screw controles idle to 1/4 throttle the most so it could be an ajustment with that, what do you have your air screw set at and are you running a bit rich? I sent greg an email, i will post his reply when i get one. I wolud ditch that clamp on and get gregs filter kit or put the stock air box back on, i had a uni pod and it was just truble, it made my kota run real rich and i lost 10-15 PSI of compression from it so i asked greg and comming strait from him he says they flow much less and my loss of compression was because the clamp on has no velocity which all makes sense too me and i have all the proof from experience and the bottom line is much less compression and much less flow=much less performance, i went back to the stock setup with my k&n and noticed more power, my jetting was right on and it bumped my compression right back to normal so i'd put your stock air box on if you have it and it workes nicer with the whole snorkel tube off (not just the cap) if you dont need it.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

well i did some research about the mojave intake boot fitting the lakota and all of you that said it would fit were right but on the other side of things, the mojave and lakota boot both share the same exact part number meaning they are the same so it seems their would be no benifit of getting the mojave boot but those o-ring gaskets are diffirent sizes which is weird and also makes no sense but the way it sounds by all of you and the fact that the mojave o-ring is bigger it seems that the mojave boot is larger but it makes no sense that they are the same part number. anyone got any ideas?

Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

The last time i checked i was running right perfect for jetting on top end. My carb does the same thing yours does and i have not been able to get rid of it but maybe greg has something to say about it. I think my air screw is 2 turns out but i have been messing with it all day long so im not sure. Where did you look for the intake boots? Inless in the past year kawi changed there mojaves intake it should be diffrent then the lakota but it will fit on there.