Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

RECALL:STEERING KNUCKLE PRAIRIES, BRUTES

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
CWG
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECALL:STEERING KNUCKLE PRAIRIES, BRUTES

The Kawi dealer in Medina Ohio is still stroking me. (us)
"dont know when" "ordered x Kits (40 to 60 kits depending on who I talk to)" "I know, feel your pain, we get calls all day long"

blah blah blah...getting tired of really, and I'm a fairly patient person. Got the notice in mid June, was told DO NOT RIDE IT until parts are replaced. Here it is Sept and I've been using it daily. Wonder now that I've given my vin number to the dealer for notification, it falls off and kills me my spouse wont be able to sue?

We will see....
I'll post when I hear something, our dealer said they have 45 contact numbers- and lots of other callers who dont want to give vin# or phone#- the smart ones?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

My boss just had his 700 in and got the kit installed. We were out on a run on Saturday, and he could not believe the difference.
He said it handled better and it was easier to steer. We have no list to get on here. First come, first served. (Plus they don't get paid for warranty work if the bike does not have the kit in it, and they can't sell a new bike either. So I am sure these bikes will get the kit first. He has a 3 year warranty, and it's somewhat of a lemon, so the dealer wants his money back.)

Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
CWG
Pro Rider

Man.....
Just called the dealer and was told "we are expecting the kits in mid-October"
what a joke.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

well i took the drive out to where my dealer was. he told me he has only got in 4 kits so far, and has a long list, and well that makes me on the bottom ,if he only got 4 kits so far they can not be sending them out very fast...oo the joy!!!

Old 09-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

I do inspect and ride mine, but the recall doesnt inspire much confidence when im buzzing along a bluff with a 200 foot drop off on the side, or zipping through tree lined trails. The thought of the wheel flying off is allways on my mind now. I get more upset with every passing week. Is it a part shortage? Are they putting the good ones on new four wheelers instead? They should completely stop production of new four wheelers if thats what it takes to get their current customers fixed up.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:40 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 400PrarieXLT
I do inspect and ride mine, but the recall doesnt inspire much confidence when im buzzing along a bluff with a 200 foot drop off on the side, or zipping through tree lined trails. .

I'd seriously not be buzzing along side any 200 foot drop offs man. Read the whole thread, one or two have had wheels fall off that passed the inspection.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

yeah I know. But the alternative is a 2000 Honda Foreman 400 thats just a little boring.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

CWG and deerchooper,

If you guys ever wanna get togther and hit some trails let me know![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] A group of us is supposed to be heading over to Wellsville this Friday and Saturday.

Still no warranty parts here either. I keep calling Metro Motorcycle in Mantua and still the same scenario...no parts, no ETA.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Its not that all the Prairies will have "play" where the tie rod end goes into the knuckle, its that over time, it CAN get play where these two parts bolt together. I bet most of you won't develop this play. Just check to make sure the tie rod end isn't loose. But you NEED to take it to a dealer and have the new kit installed. Its a safety issue. We don't want to lose any fellow atv'rs out there. We had a feeling that this would happen. Those knuckles just looked wrong. Damn it Kawi!!!! There are a ton of Prairies out there too!!
I just had to tighten the nut on my left tie rod end because it was loose where it connects to the knuckle. Now, my steering has play in it that I cannot locate. My steer post has play from side to side (if I push down on each side of the handlebars.) Is there an upper bushing that I might need to replace? Is this common? It's never been rolled.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:26 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OffRder15
Its not that all the Prairies will have "play" where the tie rod end goes into the knuckle, its that over time, it CAN get play where these two parts bolt together. I bet most of you won't develop this play. Just check to make sure the tie rod end isn't loose. But you NEED to take it to a dealer and have the new kit installed. Its a safety issue. We don't want to lose any fellow atv'rs out there. We had a feeling that this would happen. Those knuckles just looked wrong. Damn it Kawi!!!! There are a ton of Prairies out there too!!
I just had to tighten the nut on my left tie rod end because it was loose where it connects to the knuckle. Now, my steering has play in it that I cannot locate. My steer post has play from side to side (if I push down on each side of the handlebars.) Is there an upper bushing that I might need to replace? Is this common? It's never been rolled.

Thanks.

Man...I have no idea, smarter folks here on that.
Mine still doesnt have play, I run it four, five times a day. Taking it easy

My dealer says they did get 6 kits for the 360 or whatever the smaller prairie is

I'm not gonna go offroading till I get the kit installed, and a general checkover by the dealer, I DID roll mine, like three times and theres something funky in the front end I cant locate, just one of those "that aint right" on some slow tight turns in 4WD.
Deerchopper is a great dude to hook up with, I bet he'd be up for a run somewhere, we usually met at Elson Street, pretty close for us both- more or less and enough slop to get stuck...often....
My first time @ Elson was fun- dont want to hijack my own thread, but Terry will remember the guy with the Cigar and Chestwaders - a real ROFLMAO OMG WTF HEEHAW

Quick Reply: RECALL:STEERING KNUCKLE PRAIRIES, BRUTES