Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Went trail today riding with Sport Quads

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went trail today riding with Sport Quads

Me and my son were out riding at local trails and ran across a 500 Predator and 450 Honda sport quads after stopping back at the trailer for some refreshments.. After listening to how fast the preddy and Honda was I said why not the three of us take a spin on the 7 mile trail.

Man that 450 is quick off the line, I got the jump but the 450 won drag race to the first hairpin (I was pegged in LO when he went by). My 650 was dead in his A$$ though. Once on the trails the 450 tried desperately to shake me but to no avail and about a 1/4 mile into the tight trail/race the guy on the 450 slid off the trail into so trees. Seeing that he was OK & only damaged pride, I gave him a big Horse-grinn as I went by and gave him a full throttle roost for good measure. Once ahead the 650 throws so much dust, dirt, and rocks you need nightvision and a flak jacket to stay within eyesight. The 500 preddy had to slow down behind me and took a wrong turn. Despite me sliding off the trail and backing up off one straddled tree, I was first back to the trucks/finish and the Honda & Preddy boys have a NEW FOUND Respect for the 650 Kawi UTILITY QUAD. Honda guy commented that was the fastest he had ever finished the 7 mile loop and was running flat out when possible trying to catch me.

LOVE THAT V-Twin POWER!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol great story man

sounds like fun

Old 07-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Great story...thanx for sharing! Always good to hear about a fellow P650 owner kickin' some sport quad butt!

I hope to do a little sport quad butt kickin' on Sunday at a local ATV rodeo in Halletsville, TX. They are having a (timed) XC race, drag race and barrell race. I hope to do some serious damage in the XC race. In fact, I recently went to another local ATV Rodeo in June and entered their (timed) XC race...I was lucky enuf to win 1st in the utility class (beating out 4 other utility quads including a P700, BF750, etc)...the funny thing was my lap times were better than 3 of the 4 sport quads that raced the same course that day (including a 2 preditors & a Raptor). The only guy to beat my time that day was on a heavily modded Raptor 660 with BBK. The sport quad riders were very impressed that a 600 lb. utility quad could whoop them on the trails. hehe

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Mikey

That "WTF" look from the sportquad owners was "Priceless." I think they underestimate the advantage of an auto tranny, V-twin Power, and a pretty nimble "Utility Quad." The Prairie "Shines in tight trails and woods without a lot of jumps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck in your upcoming races. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

you guys must be pretty good riders or the sport quad riders arent so good..i ride with 3 praire 650's and 2 700's,unless there is alot of mud on the trails the kawi's are always behind.if the trail is wide open they are Way behind my scrammy..

Old 07-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about trail racing but I do know if you own a P700 don't waste your time drag racing a DS650 or a Raptor. I did, and they killed me!

Old 07-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Oh I can believe it. Here in summer it's so dern dusty that the guy in front always wins hehe... Sounds like you had a great time! the big ute i've ridden are quite peppy, I just prefer the lighter feel of the sport quads....go have fun!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thewayout420
you guys must be pretty good riders or the sport quad riders arent so good..i ride with 3 praire 650's and 2 700's,unless there is alot of mud on the trails the kawi's are always behind.if the trail is wide open they are Way behind my scrammy..
I found that putting 22" sport quad tires on my P650 made a BIG DIFFERENCE in handling...expecially in tight woods...these tires help me keep up with the sport quads in the tight woods much better than with 25" or larger tires. Of course, there are some very talented guys on sport quads that I can't keep up with at all (especially if they are on the 450cc sport quads)....and to be honest, I usually don't try to keep up with those guys b/c I know I'll end up hurting myself or my quad. But for most average riders on the 400cc quads or less, I usually have no trouble keeping up with and/or passing them on the trails or in my XC races regardless if its wet or dry. Again, the tires and other mods have helped me do this (along with 13 XC races under my belt in the past 18 months).

Old 07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tuffEnuf
Mikey

That "WTF" look from the sportquad owners was "Priceless." I think they underestimate the advantage of an auto tranny, V-twin Power, and a pretty nimble "Utility Quad." The Prairie "Shines in tight trails and woods without a lot of jumps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck in your upcoming races. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Hehe...I have seen that WTF look once or twice and its definitely PRICELESS! Thanx for the good luck wishes...I will need it b/c I sorta let myself go over the summer and I'm sporting the lazy man belly right now! hehe

Old 07-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

I'll bet that's the same WTF look I get after I smoke some kid and then I stop and take off my helmet....I'm 51, short grey hair and baldheaded hehe. the 'JeanLucPicard look' hehe. after that the kids think twice before they roost me.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Went trail today riding with Sport Quads