Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

300EX Carb. on Lakota??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading in some older posts that someone had put a 300EX carb. on a Lakota. They stated since the EX carb has a cable actuated slide and an accelerator pump, it really improves throttle response. If anyone has done this I would like to know if it was just a direct "bolt in". I am really curious it the throttle linkage is the same and if the choke cable attaches the same. If anyone has any better choices I would love to hear them.

'00 Lakota
IDS2
138 main jet
K&N filter w/pre-charger

Old 10-18-2000, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have never tried the ex carb on a Lakota but i have heard of it before. I can tell you that the throttle and choke cables from the Lakota will not work. It requires some modification to the engine mount on a mojave to use a top pull carb and I think the Lakota would be about the same.

another option that I know works well is to put a Mojave carb on the Lakota. It is 2 mm larger and will increase power some. You will have to play with the jetting to optomize it. Best of all it is a direct fit, choke cable, throttle cable, air duct and all just hook right up. You still have a cvk type carb however but they really work quite well.

Old 10-19-2000, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you figure out how to do this, what other mods are you planning. I am still looking without sucess for a 10 to 1 piston for my Lakota. I dont like the idea of milling the head down to incease compression.

Old 10-19-2000, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

To be quite honest I really don't plan on too many more mods.. I want to add Douglas .190 rims with Maxxis pros in the front and Maxxis all tracks in the rear (stock size for both). Web cams offers a KLF came, the 40a grind, I have been considering. As far as the carbs., I'm not sure if I want to do the Mojave, I was really just interested in the EX since it has an accelerator pump. If I have to change all the cables to do so I prob. won't do it. I think Weisco offers a piston for what you are wanting. Have you checked with them? If not I have hear about FST offering stroker kits for this machine. There was an article in the Feb. or Mar. issue of Dirt Wheels that had the Lakota and Mojave with these kits. You may want to check it out. I am really pretty happy with mine at this point. It goes anywhere I want it to, not the fastest but not too bad. All I have to do now is scoot a little back on the seat and nail it and the front will come right up and ride a wheelie from there.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have a web cam in my 99 Lakota. The shop i use ordered on from web for a klf? 300. When the cam came in and they pulled mine out, they were different. I believe the cam listed in the web catalog will not work on the lakota. Long story short, we sent my original cam to web and they modified it for me. The wiseco piston listed in the catalog is the stock comp. but it should weigh less. 4-stoke jerked me around when i wanted them to do some work and or sell me a piston. I believe they wanted 550 dollars for a new piston, bored to about 320 cc, not stroked and head work. After a couple calls i was ready to do this. They said to send the cylinder and head to them and i would have it back within 4 months. So i asked them to sell me the parts and my mechanic would do it and they said no. Dont quote me to the specs i have noted above. They are close but my short term and long term memory is not what it used to be. I really enjoy my Lakota.

Old 10-20-2000, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

4 months...holy cow! I didn't realize the cams were diff. between the KLF(Bayou 300) and Lakota motor. They are supposed to be the "same" motor. What did Web do to your cam? Did you notice a good diff.? Is your machine stock or what all mods. have you done to it?

Old 10-20-2000, 09:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

web cams reground it i suppose. not a mechanic, welded on it, something. I believe the other cam had something on the end of it, some type of tach drive on it? I had it jetted, k and n filter, split fire plug, suppertrap exhaust. sythetic oil, removed the racks, put in a mahove light.I think the mechanic slightly advanced the cam timing also. love the machine just need a little power. Forgot changed the front spocket because it ran out of revs before the power.

Old 10-20-2000, 10:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

web cams reground it i suppose. not a mechanic, welded on it, something. I believe the other cam had something on the end of it, some type of tach drive on it? I had it jetted, k and n filter, split fire plug, suppertrap exhaust. sythetic oil, removed the racks, put in a mahove light.I think the mechanic slightly advanced the cam timing also. love the machine just need a little power. Forgot changed the front spocket because it ran out of revs before the power.