Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

thinking about a kfx400 on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about a kfx400 on ebay

i am very new to atvs, but i think i know what one i want. i talked to a guy at the local dealership and he talked me into the kfx400. the '05 goes for about $6,000, but i just saw this one on ebay- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AUS%3A1&rd=1 . the only way i would do it through ebay is if i met the guy and had one of my friends that know more about quads look at it and test drive it before i paid the guy. what do you guys think, is this an ok deal? thanks for any help

Old 08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

There are two 2003 KFX400's in the paper here (Colorado) for $3700 and $3800. There is one with paddle tires, upgrades etc. for $3200, but I would be afraid to buy one that's been hopped up more than just a pipe and air cleaner, and ridden hard. The price sounds way to high to me, especially if you are going to have to deal with an Ebay purchase. There is a 2004 Arctic Cat DVX400 (same as the KFX400 with different plastic) on ebay right now for $3000 (item # 4568021126), it expires in 9 hours. I just bought a 2004 with 2 or 3 rides on it for $3200 on Ebay.

Good luck with what ever you decide,
Lorrin

Old 08-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info, when you bought yours off ebay did you meet the person or have it sent to you? and what would be a good price for an '05 from the local dealer. thanks

Old 08-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

I was just in at one of our local dealers this morning and noticed that he still had 2005's marked for $5699. This dealer is usually higher than the other in the area. I have found in the past that small town dealers are usually much more willing to deal than the ones in the large towns. A dealer in a small town 30 miles away from me discounts new ATV's about $500 lower than the local dealers. I just went "www.atvtrader online.com" (take out the space) and see that several dealers are offering new 2005's for $5175 plus shipping. There is one in Canada that is offering them for $4699 that says that he can ship to anywhere in the US. The new 2006's are coming out very soon, so dealers should be willing to deal. When I bought mine from Ebay, I had a friend that lived close to the seller go over and look at it. I then paid for it using Paypal, the seller saw the deposit into his account, and my friend drove away with it. I would not buy one from Ebay without driving out to look at it before I paid for it, or at least using an Escrow company (one that was NOT suggested by the seller). If I am planning on looking at myself, I contact the seller via Email and ask him for his phone number. I have uncovered several scams this way, don't believe ANY excuses about how the ATV is in another country, how the seller wants to you wire money, or anything that seems strange. I then call him and talk to him about the item, and ask him to tell me about every problem the item has. This way if I arrive and the item is not as described, I feel perfectly justified in not purchasing it. I have bought a Harley, two ATV's, and a dirt bike this way with no problems. If the deal is not worth this extra trouble, then I don't do it. I MIGHT trust a dealer that I can look up in the phone book, no, on second thought, I wouldn't even do that. If you get email from some one saying that they are the seller after an Item expires saying the the first buyer backed out, or any thing like that, call the seller at the number you already have. When I was NOT the highest bidder after the last ATV I bid on, I got 4 scam emails offering to sell me the ATV at my lower bid. When I called the seller, none of these messages were from him. You can usually tell after talking to someone for 5 minutes on the phone if you want to continue bidding on their item, but I still don't pay until I see the item.

Sorry for the long message, but I thought you might want to know some things to watch out for.

Take care,
Lorrin