Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota sport vs. Honda 250EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota sport vs. Honda 250EX

Hey all,
Still toying with the idea of blowing money on a second sport quad and there are a lot in the used market where the price is right. How does the Lakota sport stack up to a 250EX stock vs. stock? I'd like something that I can jump without getting thrown off, something that I can wheelie by leaning back, and that will slide around corners easily.

I've ridden a 250EX and it seemed to do all of these well, but the suspension was a little short on travel. The only immediate mods I'd be looking at are tires along the lines of Dirt devils, Spider Tracs, or Mudlites.

Your takes?

Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

The lakota has better suspension and power than the 250 and they both handle about the same.The 250ex is lighter and wheelies abit easier and has shaft drive.Overall the lakota is the better atv here,because of the better power,suspension,and you'll have alot more fun playing around on the lakota.Though a 250ex isn't bad either.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

well ive went riding with 250ex's and ive driven them my self and they wheelie extremely well because their is hardly any weight at all in the front end, their lightweight overall and the engines dont require very much mantinence and its a six speed which is kinda cool for a 250 and it also has an oil cooler which is a plus but they hit the rev limiter way too fast in the lower gears, it has a shaft drive so you cant change sprockets to squeeze more top end or bottom end power out of it which i dont like, i dont think it will respond very well to mods because of the way the engine is desigined and like you said the suspension pritty much sukcs, ive driven one on a track and i felt like it didnt have any and it really lacks low end power to hit whoops with and in mud and snow it has a toguh time too but you cant change the tire size to get more ground clearance becuase their is no way to ajust the gearing accordingly.

Now to the lakota.....in any length drag race i can pritty much smoke a 250ex(when the kota was stock) and i can on the track also, and the lakotas suspension is also pritty decent and has no problems soaking up any kind of bumps.......the lakota also does very well on the trails, in the winter when the trails are covered with 6to 12 inches of snow i usually pulling the ex's out of ditches because they bottom out easially if that tells you anything and its ussually the same case with mud and their are plenty of good moda avalible if you ever feel your lakota needs more power and pritty much the lakota has the ex beat in every catagory besides weight and wheelieing but some aluminum wheeles up front and lighter tires will make the lakota lift right up so theirs really no catagory where the 250ex beats the lakota

Old 08-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

My Lakota is going on over three years old, and with (I am ashamed to say) little or no regular maintenacne (only oil changes and a new plug about once a year) I have not had a single problem. I can smoke my friend's honda 250. The Honda is stock and my only mod is a K&N air filter. Although after market parts may be harder and harder to get as they stopped making the Lakota sport and they are still making the Honda. The quad handles well in dunes and trails.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can attest to the Lakota's ability in the snow. While visiting my folks we had a freak snowfall. Just for kicks I took out my dads' Lakota just to see how good it was compared to the 3 wheeler back in the day. An honest 13" snow and I was quite impressed with its' ability in the snow, most outstanding!
I can't say one way or the other of the Honda 250ex save for the fact that the shaft drive will prevent gearing ratio changes.
Good luck, and let us know what you decide on! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

its a six speed which is kinda cool for a 250
um no..

Old 08-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

I love my lakota..its a great quad and havent had any problems what so ever...i just got new tires and rims and i felt a huge difference with them...I havent had anyproblems with my shocks they take everything i give them...My lakota has lots of power through all the gears...l can take a 250ex no problems...i can wheelie easy but im use to it so that could be why...overall the lakota is a great quad and your'll love it...

Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Vunit your lakota looks SWEET with those new wheels and tires.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ElectricShift
Vunit your lakota looks SWEET with those new wheels and tires.
I agree it looks sweet. What kind of diffrence did you notice? do you mean traction or weight wise?

Old 08-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

thanks guys for the complements i really love the way it looks...a little of both i noticed...everyone was telling me how the razr 2's were gonna be too heavy for my quad and stuff but i compared both the stock tires and rims to the new ones and there were about the same weight...in tractions i really havent ridden too much in all kinds of different types of terrian but from what i have ridden in i hook up a ton better in grassy fields i rip it up[ alot more and when i try to do a donut it just grips and i do a wheelie...i can wheelie off the line in st and 2nd gear if i really gas it and shift fast...its sweet cuz the tread on the tires are insane...i would recomend these tires to anyone who wants a tire that is tough and flat proof and wants a tire that is gonna last for ever....its also 6ply rating which is sweet...the new rims really bring out the whole look of my quad now i mean no matter which angles you look at my quad now it looks sweet...it looks so much better than before...i love it...thanks again guys...

Quick Reply: Lakota sport vs. Honda 250EX