Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 400 old/new recalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Prairie 4000 4x4 with 49 hours and 425 miles. I received my recall for the replacement belt a couple weeks ago, but seem to remember there was a recall about a year ago for replacement of some type of steering component that would break if it was turned all the way to the right or left, and you hit something hard.

Anyway, I know there are Kawasaki dealers here, and I was wondering if anyone had information on this steering recall, and, if my dealer is still obligated to replace these parts. I didn't take it in then as I didn't have a truck. Now I have an F-250, and my C.A.T. ramps just arrrived today!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kirk1---The steering problem was for 1997 to 1999 KVF300 and KVF400 machines. The recall read as follows: "If the steering is turned to the full-lock position, the shock of striking an object with one of the front wheels can fracture the front steering knuckle even if the vehicle speed is not excessive. The fracture occurs between the junction with the steering tie rod and the wheel, and will result in loss of steering control to one front wheel of the ATV with potential for an accident resulting in injury or death". It is a no charge recall. The recall was to add 2 small steering stops at the top of the stem (right under the handlebars). They are just tiny rubber pads that cushion the steering when turned hard to either side. It didn't take long for them to do it. Kawasaki said "The repair consists of replacing the upper steering stop bolts with rubber dampers, and modification to the lower steering stop mounting bracket (on some models). This will prevent excessive stress from being delivered to the steering knuckle by a severe shock with the steering at full-lock. As part of this repair your dealer will update your owner's manual with important information regarding the new steering stop dampers". This was copied from the Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc. notice that I received. It was in accordance with requirements of the Canadian Motor Vehicle Act. I assume it is the same in the States.