Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

grizz or BF

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizz or BF

i own a 02 yam big bear. it's been bullet proof. but its time for more power. yes i realize i'm on the kawasaki page, but i figured i'd run the question , both, here and on the yam page. i'm torn between the 06 grizz and the 06 BF. anybody know the HP and torque specs on these units? after sitting on the BF i noticed that the seat height is a bit higher than the BB (about 3") and even higher than the grizz (about 2"). is this going to effect the center of gravity a bunch? can it be compensated for? (wider tire/wheel combo?) lets hear it folks...blast me with the truth.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default grizz or BF

The Brute and the Griz are quit different. I am lucky enough to own both so I can give you a quick like / don't like. This is just my opinion and others will vary.

Speed: Brute way faster
Suspension: Griz, a more refined ride then the brute
Locking Diff: Griz, the Brute will not lock in reverse and you'll need to pull forward to engage 4wd sometimes.
Ergonomics: Griz
Brakes: Brute
Mileage: Brute has a larger tank, but drinks more gas. Range is about the same.
Maintenance: Brute, less plastic to remove.
Reliability is equal between the two so far.

If your ride fast and aggressive get the brute. If cruising down a trail is your style the Griz will keep you smiling.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Range Rover
Default grizz or BF

dfred- Here are the HP and Torque values that I recieved as a response to my question. I am not sure if they are exactly correct but I think that they are close.

Yamaha:
Grizz 660: 42hp/35tq

Kawasaki:
Brute Force 750: 52hp/48tq

Old 10-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default grizz or BF

One thing Ive never gotten used to is the shift pattern on the grizz, I know it probably because I dont own one (but I ride one quite a bit) Its a little more involved than on the prairie and brute. especially in the dark.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default grizz or BF

Some of the things I like about the Grizzly are the ride and handling. The machine handles well with light, but not overly light steering and a comfortable ride. The seat is very plush.
The power is deceptive. Compared to the rush of the Kawasaki Twin it feels weak but seems to keep right up. It seems to effortlessly accelerate.
I like the engagement of the 4wd also. It goes into and come out of 4wd quickly. If the BF is like the Prarie, it takes a little more time to engage. I have read that the 4wd will not engage going in reverse, mine does but it takes a lot more wheel travel.
The transmission is rock solid. You don't have to ride in low range unless you're pulling something heavy or the terrain demands a lot of power.
As far as gas boiling and overheating, those problems were done away with with the louvered side panels and insulation tape.
I haven't had any problems with axles breaking but I only run 25" Mudlites. I think going bigger has more negatives than positives so I stuck with the same size.
If a strong punch of power is your hot button, go with the BF. If cruising and go overall performance and handling are at the top of your list, go with the Grizzly. Also, look at the King Quad. I hear a lot of people say the King is a Grizzly with upgrades.
The best of both worlds would be the Outlander 800 (big dollars though).

Old 10-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default grizz or BF

The best handling and most comfortable quad I have been on is the King Quad. The Grizz is ok, but not like the KQ.....the BF is a Grizz only faster.

Just got back from Moab.....all the makes handled the rock well....I could catch any of them whenever I wanted to with my Prairie (I am sore from the Prairie and the rock....we rode 9 hours flat out Sunday, no lunch, one crash).

If somebody puts a Kawi motor in a King Quad, I'm there!